We have 116 guests online
03 Feb 2001 DMP Halesowen Town 2-2 Welling United PDF Print E-mail

Dr Martens Premier League - Saturday, 3rd February, 2001

Halesowen Town 2 Welling United 2

Despite an improved battling performance Halesowen remain bottom of the table and paid dearly for letting Welling equalise twice to claim a draw. The game once again highlights that Halesowen’s plight is due to a miserable home record and their continual failure to hold onto winning positions.

The visitors quickly adjusted to the muddy playing surface and Halesowen had an early escape when Zeke Rowe was judged to be offside when he slotted home after a dangerous run by Anthony Riviere in the 23rd minute. But it was Halesowen who took the lead in the 35th minute when Jon Ford held off the Welling defence before laying the ball into the path of new signing Nicky Carter and his low cross was turned into the net by Wayne Lloyd from two yards out.

The high-flying Wings levelled in the 78th minute when Matt Bower struck a dipping shot into the roof of the net from 20 yards out. In an exciting ending, Halesowen regained the lead in the 84th minute through a tremendous individual effort by on-loan Steve Piearce who fought off three defensive challenges before lashing the ball past Glen Knight from an acute angle. However, just three minutes later Halesowen let a vital lead slip again when they failed to clear their lines and then backed off from Riviere who worked through the penalty area to beat Quy.

Halesowen almost grabbed a third in a frantic injury-time goalmouth scramble that saw Andy Comyn and Ford miss close range efforts whilst at the other end Wayne Lloyd made an important last gasp tackle to prevent Rowe winning the game for Welling.

Halesowen Town: Quy; Crisp, Comyn, Wood, W. Lloyd, Ford, Carter, Piearce, Bowen, Smith, Hines. Subs: Mason, Sutton, P. Lloyd

Welling: Knight; Bower, Chapman, Hone, Edwards, Budden, Riviere, Rutherford, Rowe, Harland (Glover 69), Dolby. Subs: Saunders, Farley

Booked: Edwards (44), Ford (44), Crisp (48)

Referee: S. Tomlinson (Farnham)

Attendance: 458

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack