We have 51 guests online
22 Aug 2000 DMP Halesowen Town 0-1 Stafford Rangers PDF Print E-mail

Dr Martens Premier League - Tuesday, 22nd. August, 2000

Halesowen Town 0 Stafford Rangers 1

Despite injuries to key players, Halesowen were first on attack as Phil Wood’s cross ran across the face of goal with Stuart Payne unable to connect. Andy Dodd then played a long high ball leaving Michael Griffiths clear on goal but he inexplicably lofted the ball high from 6 yards with only goalkeeper Richard Williams to beat.

In a furious end-to-end encounter, Stafford’s Scott Dundas screwed the ball wide in front of goal after being set up by Tony Eccleston in the 13th minute and Halesowen’s Neil Cartwright hammered a wicked drive inches wide. On the half hour, Stafford were unlucky when a cross from Dundas was met by Eccleston’s header at the far post but the ball struck the underside of the bar and was hooked off the line by Yeltz defender Andy Comyn. Just before halftime, Halesowen goalkeeper Andy Quy seemed to hang in the air to make a spectacular save pushing away a curling 25 yard shot from Paul Kiely that was heading for the top corner.

Early in the second half Stafford’s Stuart Ryder almost headed into his own net and from the resulting corner Neil Cartwright’s 20 yard effort was tipped over by Williams. Cartwright then drove wide following a tremendous run from defence by Les Hines in the 62nd minute. Stafford finally won an evenly matched game in the 81st minute when Scott Dundas turned to fire into the corner of the net as Halesowen repeatedly lost possession on the edge on the penalty area.

Halesowen Town: Quy; Wood, Hines, Comyn, Ford, Cartwright, Hodgetts, Darroch, Payne, Griffiths (Dutton 45), Dodd (Owen 45). Unused Sub: Collins

Stafford Rangers: Williams; Simkin, Everitt, N. Smith, Brindley, Ryder, J. Smith (Read 89), Middleton (Boughey 58), Eccleston, Kiely (Tranter 83), Dundas

Booked: Comyn, Kiely, Eccleston

Referee: S. Tanner (Bristol)

Attendance: 667

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack