We have 119 guests online
18 Nov 2000 DMP Halesowen Town 4-4 Folkestone Invicta PDF Print E-mail

Dr Martens Premier League - Saturday, 18th November, 2000

Halesowen Town 4 Folkestone Invicta 4

Few followers of recent form could have predicted an eight-goal thriller with Halesowen strikers Peter Sutton and Stuart Payne notching a brace each and Steve Lawrence claiming a hat-trick in a brave Folkestone fight back.

Halesowen started brightly following recent good results and opened the scoring in the 11th minute when Peter Sutton broke free and rounded goalkeeper David Wietecha before slotting home. The visitors equalised in the 25th minute when Andy Quy dropped a left-wing cross leaving Steve Lawrence to thump the ball into the centre of the net. Stuart Payne beat the Folkestone offside trap again in the 34th minute and set up Sutton to tap in his second. Wietecha then saved well from a Ross Collins header one minute before the interval but Payne drove in the rebound which just crept over the line for Halesowen’s third.

The Yeltz seemed to have built an unassailable lead in the 47th minute when Andy Quy saved well from Paul Chambers and the ball broke up field for Payne to confidently beat Wietecha from 8 yards out. However, the visitors had other ideas and brought on an extra forward and the gamble brought rich rewards as Halesowen threw away their three goal lead in a 17 minute spell. Lawrence met a troublesome Andy Morris corner with a glancing header in the 63rd minute to reduce the arrears and he completed his hat-trick in the 74th minute by sweeping in a cross from substitute Adam Maunder when Halesowen lost possession in midfield. The Folkestone revival was completed ten minutes from time when Richard Ponsford drove in a low 35 yard free-kick which evaded the Halesowen defence and drifted into the corner of the net.

Both goalkeepers made splendid saves in the final minutes to keep the scores level. Folkestone’s Wietecha palmed away a curling drive from Sutton and Halesowen’s Quy pulled off an athletic stop from Paul Chambers at the foot of the post before keeping out a 30 yard drive from Ryan Briggs.

Halesowen Town: Quy; Comyn, Owen, Wood, Lloyd, Collins, Cartwright, Sutton, Payne (Crisp 71), Smith, Hines. Subs: Ford, Aldridge.

Folkestone: Wietecha; Morris, Ponsford, Larkin, Daniels, White (Maunder 56), Briggs, Chambers, Lawrence, Dent, McAnn (Ross 75). Subs: Dryden

Booked: Chambers (90)

Referee:  P. Tilsley (Hednesford)

Attendance: 340

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack