We have 56 guests online
16 Mar 2002 DMW Halesowen Town 5-1 Swindon Supermarine PDF Print E-mail

Dr Martens Western Division – Saturday, 16th March, 2002

Halesowen Town 5 Swindon Supermarine 1

Runaway league leaders Halesowen heeded the call from manager Brendan Phillips to remain focussed and torpedoed Supermarine with five goals in a 35-minute spell.

The Yeltz showed patience in a quiet opening as a relegation-haunted Swindon packed their defence but the breakthrough came after 21 minutes when May was fouled on the edge of the penalty area and Les Hines fired a low free-kick directly beyond goalkeeper Liam Bull. Swindon were undone by their inability to defend set pieces and the floodgates soon opened up with a second goal following seven minutes later. A Dennis Bailey header was cleared off the line but as Lee Collins turned the ball back into the area, Andy Spencer headed into the unprotected net from close range. The Yeltz went 3-0 ahead on the stroke of half-time when Swindon failed to clear a Skidmore cross and Hines had the easy task of heading into the unguarded net.

The pressure continued into the second half and the fourth goal arrived on 53 minutes with Swindon troubled by another corner from Hines and May was on hand to nod home from a couple of yards out. Five minutes later goalkeeper Bull pulled down Spencer as he was about to shoot and Jason Burnham banged home the resulting penalty to increase the lead with Swindon all at sea. The visitors gained an 81st minute consolation goal after Lee Collins impeded Adam Giles and Tom Jones fired home the resulting penalty.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, N. Smith, L. Collins, Skidmore (Cowley 67), Spencer, Bailey (A. Jones 76), May, Taylor (Brennan 67), Hines.

Swindon Supermarine: Bull; Bellinger, Bennett, Beaverstock, Roper, Davis, T. Jones, Dunton, Smart, Giles, Hulbert. Subs: Hussain, Richards, James.

Referee: S. Flannagan (Wednesfield)

Attendance: 602

Booked: Dunton (48)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack