We have 37 guests online
29 Dec 2001 DMW Atherstone United 2-5 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Dr Martens Western Division – Saturday, 29th December, 2001

Atherstone United 2 Halesowen Town 5

League leaders Halesowen turned up the promotion heat by reaching 50 points after coming from behind at Atherstone.

The Yeltz made a perfect start with a second minute opener when slack defending let Dennis Bailey turn to crack into the top corner from 20 yards with sunlight hindering goalkeeper Dale Belford. The Adders levelled five minutes later when Emeka Ejiofor split the defence and put Leon Doughty clear to fire beneath Tim Clarke. Poor defending gave the home side a 13th minute lead when Lee Middleton squared across the penalty area from the right for Doughty to hit his second goal home from 5 yards, despite the best efforts of Richard Colwell to clear.

With Halesowen fighting back, Lee Collins headed Taylor’s corner over the bar and brother Ross shot at Belford before being stretchered off in the 21st minute. Halesowen were back on terms in the 33rd minute when Gary Smith rolled the ball from the left for Andy Spencer to place home from 12 yards. Spencer returned the compliment on the stroke of half-time by supplying Gary Smith to score from close range and regain Halesowen’s lead. Tim Clarke was alert to save from Ejiofor in first half stoppage time in another direct Adders attack.

The second half started in much quieter fashion and it wasn’t until 60 minutes that Dennis Bailey had an overhead kick tipped over by Belford. Halesowen then went 4-2 ahead when Adam Hart hit the ball into his own net when attempting to clear Colwell’s right wing cross on 66 minutes. Bailey hit the bar two minutes from time from just 8 yards but in the final minute Andy Spencer burst forward to crack Halesowen’s fifth goal into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Atherstone United: Belford; Hart (O’Toole), Beazeley, Barry, Turner (Cammock), Rutherford, Martin, Middleton, Brown, Ejiofor, Doughty. Sub: Genner.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, N. Smith, L. Collins, Skidmore, Spencer, Bailey, G. Smith, Taylor (Hines 81), R. Collins (Gray 23). Sub: Newall.

Referee: P. Martin (Wellingborough)

Attendance: 357

Booked: Beazeley (30), Doughty (49), Barry (60).

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack