We have 243 guests online
23 Mar 2002 DMW Halesowen Town 6-0 Racing Club Warwick PDF Print E-mail

Dr Martens Western Division – Saturday, 23rd March, 2002

Halesowen Town 6 Racing Club Warwick 0

Andy Jones hit a hat-trick amongst another flood of goals at the Grove to leave Warwick without a league victory for 18 games since October.  With just five weeks of the season remaining, Halesowen remain well on course for a swift return back into the Premier Division and it took just four minutes for the league leaders to gain the upper hand.

Neil Smith back-headed a Les Hines right wing cross for Leroy May to turn home from close range. May then skied the ball over the bar in the 8th minute and Jones headed weakly into the arms of goalkeeper Neil Stephenson as the Yeltz sought to improve their goal difference. For Warwick, David Jackson shot high over the bar and Mark Hodson rose to head just wide in the 21st minute. However, the Yeltz remained well on top and Warwick had an escape when Jones just failed to react to a Richard Colwell cross that bounced off Stephenson in the 33rd minute. A lightning break involving Andy Spencer, Mark Taylor and Hines resulted in Stuart Skidmore seeing his shot blocked in the 37th minute and a minute before the break Darren Massingham cleared a lob from Andy Spencer off the line to keep the half-time score respectable.

Straight from the restart May pounced on a slip by Hodson and set up Jones to beat the veteran Warwick goalkeeper Stephenson from 10 yards out. Stephenson kept rampant Halesowen at bay by saving May’s diving header in the 53rd minute with his legs before blocking another May shot after 62 minutes as Spencer waltzed through the Warwick rearguard. However, Stephenson was beaten again in the 64th minute when Jones turned in the box to plant a 15-yard shot into the net.

With Halesowen making it look so easy May nodded home the fourth goal in the 72nd minute after Stephenson failed to grab Jason Burnham’s cross. Jones completed a fine hat-trick five minutes later by side-footing into the net from 10 yards after good right-wing work by the impressive Andy Spencer. Following three late Halesowen substitutions the demoralised Warwick defence was caught out again in stoppage time with Alex Cowley heading home a rebound from a Ross Collins shot.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell (R. Collins 81), Burnham (Cowley 77), N. Smith, Newall, Skidmore, Spencer, Jones, May (G. Smith 87), Taylor, Hines.

Racing Club Warwick: Stephenson; McWilliam, Jackson, Ward, Marlow, Hodson, Haywood (Wiseman 58), Yates, Eden, Kinder (Green 66), Massingham (Gozzard 55).

Referee: C. Dawes (Willenhall)
Attendance: 527

Booked: Massingham (15)

Sponsors’ Man of the Match (Sylvia Heal JP, MP): Andy Jones

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack