We have 161 guests online
26 Dec 2001 DMW Redditch United 1-3 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Dr Martens Western Division - Wednesday, 26th December, 2001

Redditch United 1 Halesowen Town 3

The opening took on almost pantomime proportions with the referee only passing the frozen pitch as playable five minutes before the intended kick-off time as he arrived late for a noon kick-off expecting a 3pm start.

Halesowen then had the better of the first period with Andy Spencer’s 17th minute shot deflected wide for a corner by Nigel Niblett and the returning Dennis Bailey heading Mark Taylor’s corner wide after 38 minutes.

However it was Redditch who took the lead against the run of play in the 49th minute with their first real chance when Brendan Hackett hit a speculative 25 yard left foot shot into the bottom corner with Halesowen goalkeeper Tim Clarke slow to get down to the ball.

Just when it seemed like their lack of cutting edge would be their downfall again, Lee Collins popped up to head home an equaliser for Halesowen from Jason Burnham’s left-wing cross in the 71st minute. From that point on the result was never in doubt and Ross Collins hit a free header wide before Andy Spencer delivered a cross for Leroy May to make a perfectly timed run to head Halesowen’s second goal into the top corner on 81 minutes.

Halesowen crafted a classic third goal in the last minute when substitute Matty Hall threaded his way through the Redditch defence before passing wide for Hines to deliver a cross for the exciting youngster Andy Spencer to nod home off the inside of the post.

Redditch United: Olden; Mitchell, Jackson, Knight, Niblett, Hawkins, Hackett, Harris, Danks, Booth, Colcombe. Subs: Cartwright, Campbell, Lakin.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, N. Smith, L. Collins, Skidmore (Hall 68), Spencer, Bailey, May, Taylor, R. Collins (Hines 81). Sub: G. Smith.

Referee: J. Farries (Oxford)

Attendance: 428

Booked: Harris (79), R. Collins (79)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack