We have 49 guests online
01 Sept 2001 FACPR Halesowen Town 2-0 Chasetown PDF Print E-mail

F A Cup Preliminary Round - Saturday 1st September 2001

Halesowen Town 2 Chasetown 0

Halesowen were made to sweat by Midland Alliance Chasetown before finally booking their place in the next round against Staveley MW with two late goals.

Halesowen inevitably dominated for long spells but the visiting defence proved difficult to break down. In the first half Lee Holliday produced a fine fingertip save from Andy Spencer in the 16th minute and then saved at the feet of Kerry Giddings from Spencer’s right wing cross just before the break.

Halesowen goalkeeper Tim Clarke was caught out in the 24th minute when he was beaten to Shaun Bradbury’s pass by Jamie Purcell, but Purcell steered the ball wide of an empty net.

As home frustration mounted, Holliday saved a powerful header from substitute Ross Collins and Giddings saw a header drop just wide of the net after challenging Holliday in the 53rd minute. Chasetown then almost sneaked the lead in the 69th minute but Lee Collins cleared Steve Charlton’s effort off the line after Clarke was beaten.

When a flick from Ross Collins was cleared off the line by Tony Collins in the 85th minute a replay seemed on the cards but Chasetown then crumbled in the dying minutes.

Matty Hall rose in a crowded goalmouth to head home a right wing corner in the 87th minute and in injury time substitute Gary Smith strode through the beaten Chasetown defence before hammering the second goal into the bottom corner.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Crawford (R. Collins 45), N. Smith, L. Collins, Burnham, Hall, Spencer, Giddings (May 63), Taylor (G. Smith 87), Hines. Subs: Jones, Garvey.

Chasetown: Holliday; T. Collins, Fardoe, Gilbey, Grice (Rutter 88), Hyden, Langston, Charlton, Bradbury, Purcell (Lezniak 65), Price. Subs: Turton, Oldaker, Tranter.

Booked: Fardoe (45), Hall (45)

Referee: J.Cox (Evesham)

Attendance: 357

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack