We have 42 guests online
18 Aug 2001 DMW Halesowen Town 3-0 Gresley Rovers PDF Print E-mail

Dr Martens Western Division - Saturday 18th August, 2001

Halesowen Town 3 Gresley Rovers 0

Kerry Giddings smashed a classy debut hat-trick and fired a warning shot from Halesowen to the rest of the Western Division.

After a lengthy first minute stoppage resulting in central defender Lee Knight being taken to hospital with a damaged collar bone, Halesowen took a 6th minute lead with a terrific opener. Kerry Giddings met Jason Burnham’s cross with an overhead kick and the world seemed to stand still as the ball looped beyond goalkeeper James Lindley to drop into the net off the underside of the crossbar.

Halesowen refused to be intimidated by the uncompromising Gresley approach and Michael Crawford’s volley in the 18th minute forced a fine save from Lindley. A fierce cross from Matty Hall then skimmed the head of Giddings and Lee Collins lost his marker to power another Hall cross inches high. Giddings increased the lead in the 35th minute when he jinked past the Gresley defence and fired a 25 yard rocket into the top corner.

Neil Kitching struck the post for Gresley just before the interval and Neil Smith cleared further Gresley danger in the 51st minute after Tim Clarke had been drawn off his line to save from Alex Green.

On-fire Giddings completed a memorable hat-trick in the 51st minute. With his back to goal, Giddings spun around and unleashed another 25 yard stunning strike which crashed into the top corner to rapturous applause.

Barry Woolley and Neil Kitching both went close in a spell of late Gresley pressure.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Skidmore, Burnham, Knight (Gray 16), L. Collins, Smith, Hall, Giddings, May (G. Smith 79), Taylor (Spencer 64), Crawford.

Gresley Rovers: Lindley; Bluck (Hautin 67), Cheetham, Allcock, Woolley, Evans, Westwood, Green, Kitching, Shaw (Parkin 45), Bedward (Wardle 67).

Booked: Green (62)

Referee: C. Sarginson (Rugeley)

Attendance: 479

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack