We have 211 guests online
09 Feb 2002 DMW Clevedon Town 0-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Dr Martens Western Division – Saturday, 9th February, 2002

Clevedon Town 0 Halesowen Town 2

Two injury-time goals meant stalwart Colin Brookes ended his temporary stint as Manager with his 100% record intact and handed back the reins to Brendan Phillips with an even better league-leading position.

With the mud ankle-deep in patches, it was questionable whether the game should have taken place at all, but Halesowen proved once again that when necessary they can battle away for points as well as play attractive football.

Goal chances were inevitably at a premium with the ball unable to roll freely in the quagmire conditions - made even worse by a gusty wind - although Halesowen went close when Leroy May’s shot was turned over the bar by goalkeeper Jason Matthews in the 24th minute.

In the second-half, Dave Bright hit wide for Clevedon when Tim Clarke was caught off his line but his opposite number Matthews then denied the Yeltz twice on the hour. Firstly, Matthews turned away a May volley and then produced a fine save to keep out Andy Spencer’s header from the corner.

With the game heading for a goal-less draw, the league leaders were awarded a penalty in the 90th minute when Bailey crossed from the left and goalkeeper Matthews pushed Spencer who was lurking menacingly at the far post. Jason Burnham gladly crashed home his 7th penalty of the season off the underside of the bar for a vital lead and in stoppage time Dennis Bailey then latched onto a long ball and escaped his marker before slotting home Halesowen’s second.

Clevedon Town: Matthews; Simeon Allison, Lester, Vinnicombe, Jefferies (Thorne 39), Price, Zabek, Mills, Bright (Morrisey 64), Sam Allison, Palmer. Sub: Dorrian.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, N. Smith, L. Collins, Skidmore, Spencer, Bailey, May (Jones 83), Taylor, Hines. Subs: Newell, Ross.

Referee: T. Curtis (Bath)  Attendance: 361

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack