We have 41 guests online
29 Jan 2002 WSC1RR Halesowen Town 1-0 Evesham United PDF Print E-mail

Worcestershire Senior Cup 1st Round Replay - Tuesday, 29th January, 2002

Halesowen Town 1 Evesham United 0

Halesowen progressed to the Worcs. Senior Cup semi-final where they will meet Moor Green.

In front of a sparse crowd, Matty Hall produced a 2nd minute run and shot which was clawed away by goalkeeper Darren Steadman in a much-changed Halesowen line-up. Tim Clarke returned the gesture by turning away Russell Parmenter’s 20-yard shot in the 9th minute. Lee Ross hit over form close range in the 10th minute and Matty Hall sent in two off-the mark shots from good positions as the Yeltz pushed a tough Evesham line-up.

Evesham had an opportunity to take a 38th minute lead but Scott Mullen slotted wide after Steve Taylor had headed down. In the 42nd minute Gary Smith played a neat 1-2, but inexplicably hit wide when all alone on the penalty spot. The winner came in the last minute of the first half when Mullen tripped Les Hines and Jason BURNHAM despatched his sixth penalty of the season into the centre of goal.

The Yeltz created more openings in the second half, but could not add to the goal tally. Hines whipped in a 53rd minute free-kick which was gathered well by Steadman with Burnham about to pounce. Evesham were reduced to ten men in the 62nd minute when Mark Wolsey was dismissed for retaliation against Andy Jones. Matty Hall wasted a 70th minute opportunity to increase the lead when he elected to go alone instead of passing across goal to the three unmarked forwards after Lee Ross had set him clear.

Steadman then kept Evesham in the game with a string of fine saves. Kelvin Phillips, son of manager Brendan, almost rounded Steadman with his first touch of the ball in the 74th minute, but Steadman dived to take the ball. Steadman then saved a fierce Colwell shot with his feet following a fine surging run by the fullback and produced a fine reflex stop from a Jones header a minute later. In the last meaningful chance, Hines cracked the Evesham crossbar from 20 yards out in the 78th minute.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Crawford, Hines, Newell, Burnham, G. Smith, Skidmore (L. Collins 60), Jones, Ross (Phillips 73), Hall (Spencer 79). Subs: N. Smith, Garvey.

Evesham United: Steadman; Parmenter, Wolsey, Clark, Pendleton, Cunnington (Lutz 68), Mullen, McCartan, Taylor, Brown, Preedy. Subs: Maybury, Benjamin, Staley, Pratt.

Referee: D. Hine (Worcester)

Attendance: 201

Booked: Taylor (30), Wolsey (53), Preedy (83), L. Collins (86) Sent Off: Wolsey (62)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack