We have 51 guests online
14 Sept 2002 DMP Cambridge City 0-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Dr Martens Premier Division – Saturday, 14th September, 2002

Cambridge City 0 Halesowen Town 1

Tim Clarke pulled off a sensational double save from the penalty spot to protect an early lead and guide Halesowen to their first win of the season.  With the return of Les Hines and Rob Elmes from injury the much-changed Halesowen line-up looked livelier than in previous games, restricting Cambridge to only a few chances.

Halesowen hit the decisive 10th minute goal to end their long goal drought when Neil Smith headed on a corner from Hines for Elmes to smash the ball into the roof of the net from close range.

Colin Vowden headed just over for Cambridge a minute later and Kevin Wilkin shot across the face of Clarke’s goal in the 23rd minute. Clarke then raced off his line in the 28th minute to beat Richard Skelly to the ball when Richard Colwell’s back-pass fell short.

Elmes met Jimmy Quiggin’s cross on the half-hour but headed just high before Colwell made a great saving tackle on Darren Collins in the box after 32 minutes. Just before the break a corner by Hayes was grabbed at the second attempt by Clarke and Elmes hit an Andy Spencer cross wide as Halesowen broke up the field.

Halesowen were soon on the attack in the second half winning two early corners following a tremendous surging run by Andy Spencer from his own half but it was Clarke who saved a 15-yard shot from Cambridge substitute Adam Wilde in space in the 53rd minute. Good play between Spencer, Hines and Elmes saw Hines curl a 56th minute shot just wide.

Cambridge were awarded their penalty on the hour when Rob Elmes pushed Colin Vowden but Clarke dived full length to his right to turn the Adie Hayes spot-kick onto the post and then produced a breathtaking goal-line block when Kevin Wilkin fired in the rebound.

Halesowen could then easily have added to their tally with Spencer being denied twice by the woodwork. In the 63rd minute Spencer poked the ball against the post from Richard Leadbeater’s cross and ten minutes later Jason Ashby touched a Jimmy Quiggin cross to Spencer but his shot rebounded off the inside of the post into the arms of goalkeeper Martin Davies. Two minutes from time Spencer fed Hines and his shot from the left drifted just wide of the post.

Cambridge City: Davies; Wignall (Nightingale 77), Wardley, Wooding, Vowden, Wilson, Clements, Hayes, Wilkin (Gutzmore 62), D. Collins, Skelly (Wilde HT). Unused Subs: Holden, Calton.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, Smith, L. Collins, Newall, Quiggin (Taylor 85), Leadbeater, Elmes (Ashby 69), Spencer, Hines. Unused Subs: Holmes, Shanahan, Reece.

Referee: I. Brookes

Attendance: 343

Booked: Hayes (41), Wignall (52), Colwell (60)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack