We have 29 guests online
11 Feb 2003 DMLCQF Bedworth United 0-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Dr Martens League Cup Quarter Final – Tuesday, 11th February, 2003

Bedworth United 0 Halesowen Town 2

Halesowen progressed with goals in the first and last minutes but missed a whole host of good chances in between. The victory lined-up a semi-final against the winners of the Kings Lynn and Grantham tie.

Showing six changes from Saturday, the Yeltz went ahead within seconds of the start when classy Lee WILLIAMS curled the ball around goalkeeper Richard Williams from the edge of the box. Lee Williams had the goalkeeper in all sorts of trouble again four minutes later when his right-wing cross struck the far post.

Chris Adamson beat away a 20-yard shot from Scott McGregor in the 12th minute when Neil Smith lost possession in midfield and then raced smartly off his line to dive at the feet of ex-Yeltz striker Lee Ross as Ben Steane took a quick free-kick.

On 32 minutes Kirk Master beat his marker but chipped just the wrong side of the post and seconds later Richard Leadbeater screwed just wide of the left upright. Three minutes before the break Adamson grabbed a Paul Kelly header with ease.

Leadbeater missed a great opportunity five minutes into the second half when he weakly hit the post from close range following a good cross from the right by Master. Bedworth broke straight down the other end and Ross met a deep cross from Steane with substitute Ian McVarish blasting wide from 2 yards out. In a spell of home pressure, a 54th minute cross from McGregor needed just a touch from Ross, but Asa Charlton was able to clear before Charlton headed off the line again a minute later.

Halesowen should have increased their lead but were denied by a combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping. In the 63rd minute a cross from Parfait Medou-Otye was screwed wide by Master and three minutes later Richard Williams beat the ball away from Lee Williams after he raced into the box. On 68 minutes Master hit at Williams when put clear and Master found himself clear again two minutes later but James Richardson got back well to clear off the line after Master had rounded goalkeeper Williams. A Lee Williams cross struck the top of the bar on 75 minutes and on 84 minutes Fraser McHugh was guilty of striking the side-netting when put free by Master. Five minutes from time Master looked offside but was allowed to proceed but again failed to beat Williams when clear on goal.

The second goal finally arrived in the dying seconds when McHugh broke from midfield and although Williams saved again from substitute Jason Ashby the rebound fell for MASTER to turn home.

Bedworth United: R. Williams; McGregor, Crowley (D. Williams 27), Everitt, Richardson, Hood, Steane, Kelly, O’Toole (McVarish 15), Ross, Whitmore (Abercrombie 72). Unused Subs: Gibson, Iyayi.

Halesowen Town: Adamson; Medou-Otye, Charlton, Smith, Stone, Trainer (Skidmore 70), L. Williams, Master, Leadbeater (Ashby 72), McHugh, Hines. Unused Subs: Colwell, Collins.

Referee: I. Scarr (Rubery)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack