We have 45 guests online
19 Oct 2002 DMP Weymouth 1-4 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Dr Martens Premier Division – Saturday, 19th October, 2002

Weymouth 1 Halesowen Town 4

Halesowen welcomed the return of lively Leroy May by cruising to their best win of the season against a woeful Weymouth.

With Halesowen in full control little was seen of Weymouth as an attacking force although Tim Clarke grabbed an 8th minute corner and Lee Collins blocked a 12th minute run by Simon Browne.
The persistence of Ross Collins won a 13th minute corner with Lee Collins just failing to connect when Neil Smith headed on for Les Hines. Jason Ashby then hit just over the bar.

Full-back Richard COLWELL set the Yeltz on their way by scoring his first goal for the club when his teasing 14th minute cross deceived home goalkeeper Jason Matthews in Seaman-style and drifted into the top corner of the net. Colwell’s 19th minute cross was then deflected with Matthews just beating May to the ball. Kirk Master was brought down by Simon Browne after 27 minutes and MASTER struck the direct free-kick sweetly into the corner of the net from 20 yards to increase the lead.

Lee Collins made a goal-line clearance in the 34th minute and five minutes before the break Clarke grabbed a 20-yard drive from Carl Mutch at the second attempt. At the other end, May scooped over in the 62nd minute when Lee Collins and Neil Smith combined from a corner. Three minutes later Ashby latched onto a through ball with May eventually winning another corner.

Weymouth pulled a goal back out of the blue when John CHARLES headed a Lee Phillips cross beyond the reach of Tim Clarke in the 74th minute. Yet anything but an emphatic victory for Halesowen would have been grossly unfair to a fine controlled display from the Yeltz who finally produced an emphatic scoreline with two late goals.

ASHBY was put clear on goal by Lee Collins in the 87th minute and although the 19-year old striker hit straight at Matthews he went one better seconds later when he latched onto another long ball and confidently rounded Matthews to slot home Halesowen’s third goal. A minute later substitute Richard LEADBEATER tricked his way past Mark Kenway in the penalty area and smashed home a fourth goal from 15 yards with the well-beaten Weymouth fans calling for the head of their ex-Salisbury City manager Geoff Butler.

Weymouth: Matthews; Tully, S. Browne, A. Browne, Kenway, Jones, Sajic (Mutch 35(Dean 76)), Hutchinson, Rawlinson (Whiteman HT), Charles, Phillips. Unused Subs: Spencer, Critchell.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Hines, Smith, L. Collins, Newall, Skidmore, Ashby, May  (Leadbeater 80), Master (Stone 89), R. Collins. Unused Subs: Reece, Quiggin, Garvey.

Referee:  K. Haines (Waterlooville)

Attendance: 602

Booked: S. Browne (27), Kenway (55)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack