We have 38 guests online
29 Mar 2003 DMP Tiverton Town 4-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Dr Martens Premier Division – Saturday, 29th March, 2003

Tiverton Town 4 Halesowen Town 2

Halesowen fell back into the dreaded drop-zone in a cruel finish to an impressive performance against their fellow double-Vase winners Tiverton.

On the plus side, another couple of goals on their travels kept Halesowen as the highest scoring away team in the division – a statistic that only highlights the string of dismal failures back at the Grove that has caused their plight. With their rivals continuing to pick up points Halesowen will realistically now need to win three or four of their remaining six games to ensure Dr Martens Premier survival, just one season after returning as Western Champions.

Halesowen started where they left off in previous away trips when Jason Ashby turned to strike the top of the Tiverton bar in the first minute. Chris Holloway burst forward for Tivvy after 5 minutes but was blocked by a packed defence who then easily coped with two corners from Paul Chenoweth.

Jason Rees headed behind his own goal on 16 minutes for Halesowen’s first corner and from the Lee Williams kick Collins rose above the defence only to see his header cleared off the line by Rees. The Yeltz took the lead when the ball was turned back into the area towards the head of Gavin Stone and Michael BLACKWOOD whipped the loose ball into the net on the volley from 5 yards out.

Tivvy equalised just four minutes later when Steve Winter crossed from the right and the unmarked Phil EVERETT tapped home from close range. Richard Colwell headed out of defence on the half-hour for Scott Rogers to drive just past the post from 25 yards. The home side then went 2-1 ahead on 35 minutes when Rogers put in a good cross from the left and EVERETT hit his second goal with a low volley past Tim Clarke.

Halesowen continued to press forward and the full-backs combined in the 40th minute when substitute Asa Charlton crossed for Colwell to head just wide. Two minutes later Rees failed to clear but Foster was fortunate that the ball bounced off Blackwood into safety. On the stroke of half-time Foster held onto a 25-yard drive from Les Hines.

At the start of the second period Chenoweth hit a well worked free-kick wide from 20 yards and Steve Ovens broke from midfield to hit the side-netting. But with Halesowen controlling large tracts of the game they deservedly levelled in the 69th minute when Lee COLLINS thundered a header past Foster from a Williams free-kick after substitute Mark Danks was fouled. With the visitors seeking a winner in open play, a Hines free-kick was blocked by the Tiverton wall and on 77 minutes Danks fed Blackwood but he scuffed his shot over the bar.

Despite all their hard work Halesowen conceded two late goals in a sickening finale. On 88 minutes Stone was too intricate on the ball and let in Scott ROGERS to flash a 20 yard effort into the top corner, despite Clarke managing to reach the ball with his fingertips. One minute into injury time Paul Edwards broke down the left and crossed for fellow substitute James MUDGE to convert a flattering fourth.

Tiverton Town: Foster; Winter (Pears 78), Haines, Rees, Steele, Cousins, Chenoweth, Holloway (Mudge 78), Everett, Rogers, Ovens. Unused Subs: Edwards, Vinnicombe, Grimshaw.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Hines, Bauress, Collins, Stone (Leadbeater 90), Williams, Ashby, Blackwood, Gibson (Charlton 30 (Danks 66)), Spencer. Unused Subs: Master, Hateley.

Referee:  S. Hollick (Plymouth)

Attendance: 731

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack