We have 47 guests online
09 Dec 2003 WSCQF Evesham United 0-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Worcestershire Senior Cup – Tuesday, 9th December, 2003

Evesham United 0 Halesowen Town 2

Worcestershire Senior Cup holders Halesowen progressed to this season’s semi-final with their bare-bones squad notching two second-half goals on a rock-hard frozen surface.

Evesham named ex-Halesowen favourites Tim Clarke and Sean Flynn in their line-up and in the 5th minute Clarke made a blocking save from Simon Hollis. The home side had the better of the first half with goalkeeper Matt Lowe taking out a cross from Grant Pinkney in the 9th minute. Flynn then met a Craig Nicholls cross but his header flew just wide on 11 minutes. Craig Ball took the first corner of the match for Evesham in the 23rd minute but Mark Hallam headed clear. Ball’s 30-yard free-kick then took a deflection three minutes later but Lowe palmed the ball away with Pinkney hitting over the bar from the resulting corner. Flynn then hit wide from the edge of the area on the half-hour before Bryan Small drove wide from Halesowen’s first corner in the 32nd minute. Ten minutes before the break Clarke touched a Hollis shot for another Halesowen corner.

Halesowen’s half-time substitute Kelvin Phillips showed some neat touches and crossed for Hallam to head wide after 53 minutes before winning a 60th minute corner in a second half that belonged to the visitors. Phillips then produced a 63rd minute overhead flick for fellow substitute Josh Skidmore to challenge Clarke and the ball fell for the league-leading marksman Jason ASHBY to hit home from five yards. Hallam then put Ashby clear on 69 minutes but he lobbed the ball high over the bar when faced with Clarke.

Evesham’s last chance to retrieve the game fell in the 80th minute but Inderpaul Khela volleyed inches wide. The Yeltz added a second goal four minutes from time when Small played the ball out to Richard Colwell on the right wing and he delivered a fine cross for HALLAM to rise above the Evesham defence and firmly head home. A minute from time another Phillips flick fed Ashby on the right but his cross was cut out by the Evesham defence.

Evesham United: Clarke; A. Smith, Sage (Pryce 60), Burrow, Bailey, Pinkney, Flynn, Nicholls, Hammet (Christie 81), Ball, Khela. Unused Subs: West, Oakey.

Halesowen Town: Lowe; Colwell, Charlton, N. Smith, Jones, Baker (J. Skidmore HT (Grocutt 74)), Hollis (Phillips HT), Ashby, Hallam, S. Skidmore, Small. Unused Sub: Steane.

Referee: I. Scarr (Rubery)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack