We have 55 guests online
29 Nov 2003 FAT2R Halesowen Town 1-3 Hayes PDF Print E-mail

FA Trophy 2nd Round – Saturday, 29th November, 2003

Halesowen Town 1 Hayes 3

Halesowen made a fine start but wilted to their first home defeat of the season after being reduced to ten men against their Ryman League visitors.

In the first ever meeting between the teams, Halesowen goalkeeper Matt Lowe kept out Joshua Scott’s deflected 3rd minute shot but it was Halesowen who made a golden start by taking a 6th minute lead. Ben Steane played a delightful pass from midfield to Simon HOLLIS on the right and he finished well from 12 yards out. Leon Mitchell then broke free of his marker in the 9th minute but headed weakly at goalkeeper Jake Cole.

Lowe produced an impressive sequence of saves to preserve Halesowen’s lead and turned Mark Molesley’s 11th minute shot away for a corner. Hollis volleyed wide for the home side on 18 minutes after Lewis Baker won the ball in midfield before Lowe made another fine reflex save with his foot to deny David Warner from a couple of yards out in the 19th minute. Lowe then tipped Kevin Warner’s 22-yard free-kick around the post on the half-hour.

Halesowen hopes of pulling off a cup shock were dashed in a nine-minute spell before half-time. Joshua SCOTT equalised for Hayes from the penalty spot after the ball struck the hand of Asa Charlton in the six-yard box in the 36th minute. Halesowen then lost their discipline in a series of skirmishes and Stuart Skidmore was shown the red card in the 44th minute for his second bookable offence after being booked only two minutes earlier in his 100th game for the Yeltz. Molesley’s 20-yard freekick struck the Halesowen post seconds before the interval as Hayes gained the upper hand.

The visitors proved too strong for ten-man Halesowen in the second half and strolled to victory with two further goals. LEE HOLSGROVE gave Hayes the lead three minutes after the break by firing into the corner of Lowe’s net from 20-yards. With the Yeltz dropping back, Dwayne Williams hit just past the post after 57 minutes. The home defence were then far too slow to react to Kevin Warner’s quickly taken free-kick on the hour allowing DAVID WARNER to touch home in an unmarked position from close range.

Halesowen found it difficult to create chances in a matter-of-fact second half although Cole palmed away from Mitchell in the 62nd minute. In the dying minutes Lowe blocked well from David Warner and then saved from Molesley.

Halesowen Town: Lowe; Skidmore, Charlton, Grocutt, Jones, Baker, Hollis, Ashby (Hallam 68), Mitchell, Steane (Small 68), Spencer. Unused Subs: Colwell, Smith, Sheils.

Hayes: Cole; Cleary, Molesley, Bixby, Yeboah, Paul Holsgrove, L. Holsgrove, Williams, D. Warner, Scott (Peter Holsgrove 76), K. Warner. Unused Subs: Case, Cooper, Goodall.

Referee:  A. J. Newell (Yate)

Attendance: 458       
Booked: Steane (40), Skidmore (42)

Sent Off: Skidmore (44)
Sponsors’ Man of the Match: Darren Grocutt

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack