We have 47 guests online
13 Sept 2003 FAC1QR Corby Town 1-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

F. A. Cup 1st Qualifying Round – Saturday, 13th September, 2003

Corby Town 1 Halesowen Town 1

Corby forced a replay with a last-gasp equaliser in a scrappy, stop-start encounter on a difficult playing surface.

Leon Mitchell turned to win a first minute corner for Halesowen and Corby’s Gary Kennedy hit a 20-yard free-kick just wide in the 6th minute. Ben Steane completely missed his kick in the 16th minute following a good right wing cross from Mitchell as a spell of Halesowen pressure led to nothing against the struggling home side. Outstanding captain Darren Grocutt headed a 23rd minute free-kick from Simon Hollis just over the bar and on the half-hour Asa Charlton did well down the left to cross for Mitchell to flash a header just wide.

Mark Gayle made an important 33rd minute goal-line save to turn Kennedy’s header away for a Corby corner. Opposite goalkeeper Richard Lavin then easily collected a 25-yard free-kick from Hollis in the 38th minute and a minute later Lavin palmed away Mitchell’s overhead kick from three yards with the visitors still seeking fluency.

Jason ASHBY finally made the breakthrough to give Halesowen the lead seconds before half-time by lifting the loose ball into the roof of the net from three yards after Lavin saved from Hollis.

With Halesowen lacking steel in midfield and missing a cutting edge up front the Steelmen took the game to their visitors in the second half.

On 52 minutes Wayne Spencer hit wide from 20-yards after a slip from Halesowen’s new central defender Dan Jones. James Le Masurier then hit wide from 5 yards in the 67th minute and put a cross over the bar a minute later when visiting defender Charlton was caught out. Gayle came to the rescue in the 70th minute by racing off his line to save at the feet of Danny Marlow and with 90 minutes on the clock Kennedy drove just past Gayle’s post from 20-yards.

Corby saved their best until last when their series of corners and long throw-ins resulted in LE MASURIER crashing home the equaliser from 10 yards in the sixth minute of added time to the joy of the home camp.

The teams replay on Tuesday at the Grove, kick-off 7.45pm.

Corby Town: Lavin; Marlow, Marshall (Carson 87), Vallance, Julian, Hawthorn, Le Masurier, Kennedy, Harrold (Sneddon 77), Spencer, Brown. Unused Subs: Glover, Stanton, Mackay.

Halesowen Town: Gayle; Colwell, Charlton, Grocutt, Jones, Baker, Hollis, Ashby (Hallam 73), Mitchell, Steane (Skidmore 79), Small. Unused Subs: Smith, Kavanagh, Lowe.

Referee:  D. Henson (Peterborough)

Attendance: 228

Booked: Marlow (65)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack