We have 36 guests online
27 Sept 2003 FAC2QR Spalding United 1-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

F. A. Cup 2nd Qualifying Round – Saturday, 27th September, 2003

Spalding Utd 1 Halesowen Town 2

The Yeltz played their “get out of jail” card to progress into the 3rd qualifying round and take their FA Cup prize money to the £7,000 mark on the same ground that they won promotion to the Southern Premier League back in 1990.

But the result masked a poor performance from the Yeltz who had to rely on Spalding being reduced to nine men by two red cards before pulling a last-gasp winner out of the bag.

After a tentative start, Jason Ashby chased a long free-kick from Asa Charlton in the 13th minute to force Kevin Cross into a blocking save. Two minutes later Spalding’s Lee Hudson hit just over from 10 yards when Paul Watts headed on Andy Stanhope’s cross. Simon Hollis burst through from Halesowen’s midfield and almost opened the scoring in the 16th minute but was denied by a fine save from Cross when clear on goal. Watts then drove wide for the Tulips on 19 minutes after being set up by Stanhope.

Lee Sowerby was booked in the 26th minute by upsetting referee Martin with dissent and was then controversially sent off on the half-hour for blocking the ball when Halesowen attempted to take a free-kick quickly.

Despite the setback, lower league Spalding took a 37th minute lead when WATTS marked his debut by cutting in from the right to beat Mark Gayle with a 20-yard shot into the top corner. With the Tulips in bloom, Hudson blasted high from a free-kick in the 43rd minute after Micky Nuttall headed on and Steve Appleby hit over from 25-yards a minute before half-time.

Ten-man Spalding were in no mood to surrender their lead in the second half with Halesowen making little impression and it was Dan Jones who rescued the visitors on the hour by making a timely interception from Hudson in the penalty area. Substitute Leon Mitchell won Halesowen’s first corner in the 65th minute but Hollis’s kick was completely wasted and Hudson went on to curl just wide from 20-yards on the break for the home side.

Just when it seemed disjointed Halesowen were bowing out of the Cup, CHARLTON levelled the scores by heading home directly from substitute Richard Kavanagh’s corner kick in the 74th minute. Hollis then lobbed just wide from 20 yards but the match concluded dramatically in the fourth minute of injury time when Halesowen were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the Spalding area. Hudson was shown the red-card for dissent and encroaching from the defensive wall and when HOLLIS re-took the kick his direct shot dribbled into the corner of the Spalding net for Halesowen’s winning goal.
On leaving the field referee Martin was jostled by the angry home camp who felt harshly treated by his performance.

Spalding United: Cross; Vince, Barnes, Greetham, Thompson, Hudson, Stanhope, Appleby, Nuttall, Sowerby, Watts (Eldridge 82). Unused Subs: Keeble, Bailey, Taylor

Halesowen Town: Gayle; Colwell, Charlton, Grocutt, Jones, Baker, Hollis, Ashby, Hallam (Mitchell 56), Skidmore (Spencer 72), Small (Kavanagh 66). Unused Subs: Smith, Lowe.

Referee:   P. Martin (Wellingborough)    Attendance: 393

Sent Off: Sowerby (30), Hudson (90)
Booked: Jones (8), Sowerby (26), Vince (35), Stanhope (78), Charlton (81).


Joomla Templates by Joomlashack