We have 42 guests online
26 Aug 2003 DMW Stourport Swifts 0-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Dr Martens Western – Tuesday, 26th August, 2003

Stourport Swifts 0 Halesowen Town 2

Stourport had two early chances with Richard Colwell clearing off the line in the 2nd minute from Jan Mulders after Mark Gayle dropped a corner and Richard Ball flashed wide in the sixth minute when clear on goal.

The Yeltz then stamped their authority on the game with Ben Steane putting Jason Ashby free in the 9th minute but his shot couldn't beat goalkeeper Lee Evans and in the 16th minute Simon Hollis struck wide after a lay-off from Mark Hallam. The flowing, incisive passing from Halesowen brought a 23rd minute goal when Lewis Baker played the ball to Hollis and he pushed the ball just wide of Evans allowing Hallam to strike home into the centre of the net from 12 yards.

Two minutes into the second half Darren Grocutt met a Hollis cross but he headed high when well placed. Ashby added a second goal in the 53rd minute by stooping to head a Hollis corner into the net at the near post. Substitute Leon Mitchell blazed over the bar from a Baker pass on 70 minutes before the Yeltz weathered a late storm.

Stourport substitute Anthony Robinson was pulled back by Baker in the 75th minute in the area and although Robinson's penalty kick beat Gayle the ball rebounded off the inside of the post and across the goal-line into safety. Ball was then clean through in the 84th minute but Gayle saved with his legs and Gayle was in action again to make another important reflex block in the last minute.

Stourport Swifts: Evans; Jones, Ulfig, Newall, Mulders, Harris (Webb 76), Cotterill, Sayer (Shirley 38), Ball, Wood (Robinson 68), Giddings. Unused Subs: Hawkes, Wright.

Halesowen Town: Gayle; Colwell, Charlton, Grocutt, Smith, Baker, Hollis, Ashby, Hallam (Mitchell 68), Steane (Skidmore 89), March (Small 85). Unused Subs: Kavanagh, Spencer.

Referee:  L. Sinclair (Brierley Hill)

Attendance: 373

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack