We have 51 guests online
16 Oct 2004 FAC3QR Halesowen Town 4-1 Glasshoughton Welfare PDF Print E-mail

F. A. Cup 3rd Qualifying Round - Saturday, 16th October 2004

Halesowen Town 4 Glasshoughton Welfare 1

Free-scoring Halesowen shattered Glasshoughton’s Cup dreams to earn a crack at the 4th Qualifying Round for the first time in seven years.

After a scrappy first few minutes, Alex Cowley put Lewis Baker through in the 8th minute, but he tripped over the ball. Glasshoughton’s Martin Woolford then ran through from his own half before eventually being crowded out on the edge of the Halesowen area. The Yeltz won the first corner of the game on 11 minutes and goalkeeper Karl Codd spilled the cross before recovering to make a fine blocking save from Steve Pope. Simon Forsdick then glanced a header off the far post from Dave Haywood’s corner a minute later.

Jimmy HAARHOFF put Halesowen in charge with his 8th goal of the season in the 13th minute by rounding Codd before calmly finishing into an empty net. Haarhoff then set up Baker a minute later, but he side-footed straight at Codd.

The Northern Counties East Premier League visitors were far from over-awed and enjoyed plenty of possession mid-way through the first half and a 21st minute corner from Woolford was punched clear by Chris Taylor with Sean Constable cracking the rebound inches over the bar.

Halesowen increased the lead on the half-hour when Haarhoff shielded a Richard Burgess cross from the right before laying off the ball for COWLEY to thump home from 8 yards. Codd was then alert to take out a 32nd cross from Cowley after he dispossessed Woolford on the right wing. Just before interval, Ian Cooper and Forsdick both fired in long range efforts on the visiting goal.

Glasshoughton caused home hearts to flutter by pulling back a goal in the 49th minute when Richard DOBSON rose unchallenged to head home a free-kick from Constable. Four minutes later Pope recovered splendidly to block from substitute Dominic Blair in front of goal and on 56 minutes goalkeeper Taylor failed to collect a cross from Julian Wilkes but the home defence hacked clear.

But it became crystal clear there would be no cup upset when BAKER restored the two-goal advantage on 58 minutes by nodding home a Forsdick cross from close range after Halesowen caught out the visitors with a quickly taken free-kick.

Jason Moore then broke down the right and squared the ball for fellow substitute Ben STEANE to side-foot home the fourth goal in the 80th minute. Glasshoughton tired in the dying minutes and Codd saved from Forsdick in the clear in the 85th minute with Moore heading over the bar from just a few feet out. Haarhoff then flashed wide of the mark in the 86th minute following an excellent pass from Steane.

Halesowen Town: Taylor; Cooper, Haywood, Preston, Pope, Jones, Cowley (Steane HT), Haarhoff, Burgess (Moore 66), Baker (Skidmore 78), Forsdick. Unused Subs: Danks, Robinson.

Glasshoughton Welfare: Codd; Liversedge, Wilkes, Dobson, Mattison, Constable, Seed (Blair HT), Bradley, Parker, Newton, Woolford. Unused Subs: King, Haigh, Leech, Fieldhouse.

Referee: M. Lever (Leicester)

Attendance: 512

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack