We have 60 guests online
19 Apr 2005 WSCF2L Halesowen Town 2-0 Studley PDF Print E-mail

Worcestershire Senior Cup Final 2nd Leg – Tuesday, 19th April 2005

Halesowen Town 2 Studley FC 0 (Aggregate: 3-1)

Halesowen lifted the Worcestershire Senior Cup for the second time in three years with two goals from man-of-the-match Alex Cowley finally ending stubborn Studley’s resistance.


Voting for Player of the Season took place during the game and although Cowley seemed unlikely to win, he has appeared in more games than any other player during the season in notching his 11th goal. Dave Haywood was named in the starting line-up but injured a hamstring in the pre-match warm up and was replaced by Lewis Baker as Halesowen’s remaining squad resembled the walking wounded.

Cowley’s 10th minute left-wing corner was met by a Nick Amos header but Richard Strain cleared off the line near the foot of his post. COWLEY then gave the Yeltz a 14th minute lead with a superb bending and dipping shot from the edge of the penalty area to leave goalkeeper Craig Johnson standing.

Kevin Jones caused problems for Halesowen in the first leg 1-1 draw but was substituted in the 40th minute following an injury. Within a minute Studley’s Anthony Savery crossed from the right and goalkeeper Chris Taylor saved the day as defender Stuart Skidmore rattled his own crossbar with a header under pressure from Andrew Grubb with Grubb only able to flick the rebound over the bar.

At the start of the second half Jimmy Haarhoff’s looping shot was collected by visiting goalkeeper Craig Johnson and seven minutes later Johnson saved Cowley’s shot in a crowded penalty area.

The Yeltz added the second goal of the evening in the 66th minute when Simon Forsdick made a superb run down the left wing and crossed for COWLEY to follow up from close range after Johnson made a fine save from Nick Smith’s header.

Johnson then saved from substitute Nathan Lamey in the 70th minute after Steve Pope hit a direct free-kick into the Studley defensive wall. Vincent Rattray was sent off for fouling Lamey when clear on goal with five minutes remaining but Pope’s resulting free-kick was deflected over the bar.

Halesowen Town: Taylor; Skidmore, Baker, Preston, Pope, Smith, Cowley, Moore, Haarhoff, Amos, Forsdick (Lamey 69). Unused Subs: Haywood, Bowater, Gayle.

Studley FC: C. Johnson; Cross, Strain, Dyer (Whittington HT), Walsh, Blake, Ager, Savery, Jones (Rattray 40), Grubb, Neath (Fleetwood HT). Unused Subs: Styles, A. Johnson.

Referee: J. Cox (Evesham)

Attendance: 349

Sent Off: Rattray (85)

Sponsors’ Man of the Match: Alex Cowley

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack