We have 46 guests online
26 Feb 2005 SLP Halesowen Town 2-1 Bedford Town PDF Print E-mail

Southern League Premier Division - Saturday, 26th February 2005

Halesowen Town 2 Bedford Town 1

A sensational last minute winner from two-goal Nathan Lamey sealed a splendid victory over second placed Bedford and boosted Halesowen’s hopes of securing a play-off position.

Halesowen tore into the Eagles from the start and went ahead after just four minutes when Lewis Baker helped on a left-wing cross for LAMEY to control the ball and slam an excellent half-volley past goalkeeper James Robinson from 8 yards after Craig Rydeheard failed to clear.

Robinson was able to save Alex Cowley’s 20-yard shot two minutes later and on 14 minutes Lamey almost met a deep Dave Haywood cross at the far post. With Halesowen looking sharp up-front, Cowley then surged into the Bedford area in the 25th minute and appeared to be tripped, although play was waved on.

The Yeltz continued to totally dominate the first half winning nine corners with Bedford failing to record a shot up to the interval. Jimmy Haarhoff was set free but his cross ran along the face of goal in the 35th minute after a smart break from Haywood and two minutes later Robinson made an instinctive one-handed reflex save from Baker’s 10-yard goal-bound shot.

Bedford finally won their first corner in the 47th minute after Derwayne Stupple shot just wide and three minutes later home goalkeeper Chris Taylor collected a cross from Parys Okai. 

On the hour Haywood made another dangerous run forward at the Bedford defence, but could not quite find Lamey and four minutes later Haywood’s free-kick found Haarhoff, but Robinson collected his 10-yard shot low down.

The Eagles landed a shock equaliser through Lee HOWARTH from the penalty spot in the 71st minute when Nicki Preston was harshly penalised as Rene Howe fell to the floor in a messy penalty area scramble. A minute later Howe sliced a good chance wide on the break before battling Bedford won two 75th minute corners.

Cowley was blocked in the area in the 78th minute with Robinson then saving from Lamey and on 81 minutes Rydeheard squirted a shot past the post at the other end.

In the final minute Steve Pope’s fierce 30 yard free-kick was deflected wide. But Halesowen grabbed the victory their first half performance deserved when Cowley’s corner was headed on by substitute Nick Amos for LAMEY to hold off his defender and hit a spectacular overhead kick into the net in front of the joyous Shed.

Halesowen Town: Taylor; Jones, Haywood, Preston, Pope, Skidmore (Smith 89), Cowley, Haarhoff (Moore 77), Lamey, Baker (Amos 49), Forsdick. Unused Sub: Cooper.

Bedford Town: Robinson; Jackman, Okai, Rydeheard, Howarth, James, Challinor, Stupple, Dillon, Howe, Lawley. Unused Subs: McElroy, Blake, Grieve.

Referee: G. Horwood (Luton)

Attendance: 573

Booked: Skidmore (31), Lawley (36)

Sponsors’ Man of the Match: Simon Forsdick and Nathan Lamey

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack