We have 88 guests online
24 Sept 2005 FAC2QR Glapwell 0-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round - Saturday 24th September 2005

Glapwell 0 Halesowen Town 1

Halesowen progressed to the 3rd qualifying round at Glapwell of the Northern Counties East League, but had no easy ride in an even contest.

The tough-tackling hosts were marshalled in defence by former Yeltz assistant manager Darren Grocutt and easily found their stride going forward with Damien Magee firing at Dean Coleman in the 6th minute. The visiting defence then cleared a 14th minute cross from Mark Robinson and a 21st minute corner by veteran Gresley old-boy Gary Castledine.

Halesowen played their new 4-4-2 formation and gradually improved as the half progressed with Simon Forsdick nipping in after 32 minutes only to see his shot deflected for a corner. Alex Cowley then surged from midfield on 40 minutes and squared the ball to Nathan Lamey but Dale Cooper made an important block in front of goal. Dave Haywood and Steve Pope then volleyed over Glapwell’s bar but seconds before the interval Pope cleared at the other end after Coleman lost the ball to Rob Clarke in the penalty area.

Glapwell continued to work hard at the start of the second half by forcing two early corners but also continued to pack their own defence with Howard Forinton crowded out after 51 minutes. Three minutes later home goalkeeper Louis Sprigg produced a fine save to tip Pope’s header over the bar from Lamey’s cross.
With Glapwell starting to fancy their chances of producing a Cup shock, Magee struck inches wide in the 55th minute and Coleman collected Adam Walker’s 64th minute lob. Clarke then put a good chance past the post from 12 yards after latching onto Nicki Preston’s casual clearance.

Gritty Glapwell’s resistance was finally broken in the 73rd minute when FORSDICK ran on from midfield to drill a 20-yard shot into the corner of Sprigg’s net. Halesowen were able to produce more clear-cut chances late on with Forinton heading Lamey’s 79th minute corner over the bar. Forinton then set up substitute Nick Smith to place his shot but the ball rebounded off the left-hand upright and seconds later Lamey flashed a shot just wide.
But in injury time Coleman broke Glapwell’s hearts by making a crucial save at the foot of his post after referee Foley waved play on despite his assistant flagging for a foul.

Glapwell: Sprigg; Robinson, D. Cooper, Grocutt, R. Smith, Walker, Davies, Trodden, Clarke, Magee (Hardwick 77), Castledine (Watson 82).  Unused Subs: Elliott, Wilson, West (GK).

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Johnson, Haywood, Preston, Pope, I. Cooper, Cowley (N. Smith 75), Lamey, Forinton, Amos, Forsdick. Unused Subs: Pierpoint, Strachan, Skidmore, Jay (GK).

Referee: M. Foley (Sheffield)

Attendance: 171

Booked: Davies (43)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack