We have 41 guests online
18 Oct 2005 FAT1QRR Willenhall Town 2-3 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

FA Trophy 1st Qualifying Round Replay - Tuesday 18th October 2005

Willenhall Town 2 Halesowen Town 3 (AET)

Halesowen battled through to the net round with a dramatic 90th minute equaliser and a late extra-time winner eventually overcoming Willenhall’s stern resistance.  A long evening of football concluded at 10.40pm after extra-time with a delayed 8.10pm kick-off caused by the non-arrival of FA-appointed assistant referees, resulting in the recruitment of emergency replacement local officials.

In even early exchanges, Craig Holland’s 5th minute shot bounced past Dean Coleman’s post after a series of deflections before Halesowen won an 8th minute Nathan Lamey corner. Alex Cowley then sent in a 16th minute cross and Simon Forsdick won a right-wing corner a minute later as the Yeltz eased into their stride.

Nick AMOS unlocked the home defence by heading home directly from Cowley’s corner to give Halesowen an 18th minute lead. Two minutes later Dave Haywood drilled just wide from 20 yards.

But the tough-tackling Lockmen were allowed to equalise just four minutes later on 22 minutes with Aaron BISHOP converting another direct header at the far post from Dominic Reece’s 25-yard right-wing free-kick.

Halesowen responded and continued to press with Lamey trying just too much in the penalty area on 25 minutes before Haywood’s cross fell just wide. Another free header from Amos then almost caught out goalkeeper Danny Tipton in the 28th minute and a minute later Chris Smith was put through but his first touch was too strong, allowing Tipton to claim the ball. Unconvincing Tipton then gathered the ball at his post when Amos headed onto Lamey on the half hour. Hard-working Lamey worked his way around the home defence in the 39th minute but his cross ran along the goal-line.

The uncompromising first-half led to yet more Yeltz injuries with Haywood (knee) and Amos (calf) both requiring enforced replacements at half-time.

In the second half Cowley hit Lamey’s 52nd minute left-wing cross over the bar in a crowded area and Gary Hay cut in to fire over Halesowen’s bar a minute later at the other end. Hay smashed well over the bar again in the 62nd minute after Nicki Preston ducked and allowed the ball to find home captain Martin Myers. Tipton then kicked the ball away to deny Forsdick at the far post from Lamey’s 64th minute free-kick.

After a good spell of Willenhall pressure, substitute Stuart Pierpoint was on hand to make an important 76th minute clearance. But the hosts grabbed a 80th minute lead after Pierpoint’s slip allowed Dean PERROW to pick up the ball and beat goalkeeper Coleman from 22 yards.

Chris Smith’s was clear after 81 minutes but was blocked by Tipton and a minute later Holland’s deflected shot was collected by Coleman at the other end.

Walking wounded Halesowen looked to be bowing out of the FA Trophy until FORSDICK latched onto a long clearance from Coleman in the 90th minute and chipped over Tipton into an empty net.

As the game entered extra-time, Halesowen’s extra fitness became evident with Willenhall failing to threaten.

Tireless Lamey led the line brilliantly and his 91st minute free-kick was sliced over his own bar by Myers in the 91st minute. Lamey then rolled just past the post from 20-yards out five minutes later. Tipton cleared a corner from Preston at the start of the second period of extra-time before collecting Pope’s 111th minute header from another Lamey corner.

PRESTON headed home the decisive winning goal in the 114th minute from a well delivered free-kick from substitute Ben Steane. With Willenhall out of steam, Cowley displayed amazing fitness to make a right-wing run and then chase up and almost catch out Tipton with three minutes of extra-time remaining.

Halesowen move on to meet Aylesbury United at home in the 2nd Qualifying Round on November 12th.

Willenhall Town: Tipton; Woodvine, Reece, Curran, Bishop (Platt 90), Holland, Campbell (Vaughan HT), Myers, Hay, Perrow, Swann (Sheppard 56). Unused Subs: Quilt, Danks.

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Cooper, Haywood (Pierpoint HT), Preston, Pope, Amos (Skidmore HT), Cowley, Lamey, C. Smith, N. Smith (Steane 80), Forsdick. Unused Subs: Johnson, Strachan.

Referee: C. Miller (Kettering)

Attendance: 210

Booked: Reece (13), Swann (40), Pope (112)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack