We have 119 guests online
19 Aug 2006 SLP King's Lynn 0-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division – Saturday, 19th August 2006

King’s Lynn 0 Halesowen Town 2

Halesowen made a superb start to the new campaign with a comprehensive win at promotion favourites King’s Lynn.

The visitors created the better chances throughout the afternoon and the result could’ve been even more emphatic as three other golden chances went begging. Remarkably, the Yeltz continue to prove a huge jinx to the Linnets in their third successive victory at The Walks with the Norfolk side failing to score against Halesowen in their last five meetings.

Captain Niki Preston nodded Dave Haywood’s 2nd minute free-kick just wide but the hosts started reasonably well by forcing two corners in the 6th minute when Rob Warner tidied up after goalkeeper Mark Gayle failed to claim the ball after Paul Atkins fed Matt Nolan. Adam Smith then fired a promisingly placed free-kick way over the bar from 22 yards and Atkins glanced an 18th minute header wide.

But Halesowen stepped up the pace to carve out a string of excellent chances. Lee Williams missed a sitter in the 19th minute by side-footing wide in front of an open goal after a delightful interchange between Matt Lewis and Paul Szewczyk tore the home defence apart. Szewczyk then robbed the home defence down the left in the 27th minute and squared the ball for Alex Cowley to drive wide from just ten yards.

However, Simon FORSDICK finally rattled home a 12-yard rebound in the 29th minute after Lee Williams advanced forward to shoot from midfield for the joyous Yeltz. A minute before the break Lewis curled over the bar after being supplied by Cowley’s short pass.

Halesowen kept up the pressure in the second period although Jack Defty struck a cracking 20-yard drive wide of the left-hand upright on 55 minutes. The new-look strike force continued to cause problems and Lewis was denied by Adam Smith’s crucial 56th minute saving tackle when free in the penalty area. Cowley’s low 61st minute shot was collected by goalkeeper Shaun Marshall and Lewis was crowded out again by Mark Camm and Dean West seconds later.

LEWIS turned the last home defender to add a killer second goal on 62 minutes with a 10-yard left-foot shot after being set up by Preston’s surge forward. With King’s Lynn looking well beaten, Haywood drove high in the 71st minute after Lewis and Szewczyk held up the ball and Cowley wasted another good opportunity by hitting high from just 6 yards when Lewis headed on in the 76th minute. Substitute Sean Dowdall then set up Lewis to fire just wide from a narrow angle in the 82nd minute and Dowdall forced a last minute corner by cutting in from the left.

King’s Lynn: Marshall; West, A. Smith, Hyde (Toms 69), Camm, McMahon (Kennedy 71), J. Defty, Carey, Nolan, Atkins (Frew 59), O’Halloran. Unused Subs: C. Defty, Brooks.

Halesowen Town: Gayle; Warner, Haywood, Preston, Knight, Beckett, Cowley (N. Smith 85), Lewis, Szewczyk (Dowdall 79), Williams, Forsdick (Cooper 64). Unused Subs: Pierpoint, Brindley.

Referee: M. George (North Walsham, Norfolk)

Attendance: 769

Bookings: Beckett (45), Haywood (74)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack