We have 50 guests online
29 Jul 2006 FRD Halesowen 0-0 Kidderminster Harriers PDF Print E-mail

Pre-season Friendly – Saturday, 29th July 2006
Halesowen Town 0 Kidderminster Harriers 0

Halesowen held a full-strength Conference Kidderminster squad to a goal-less draw despite a number of good chances from the Harriers going begging.

Ian Cooper played a delightful through ball to put Sean Dowdall clear in the 8th minute but Kiddy goalkeeper Scott Bevan produced a good save. From that point onwards the Yeltz created few goal-scoring opportunities as their Conference neighbours engineered several good chances.

Former Yeltz midfielder Michael Blackwood caused a number of problems and struck the side-netting in the 27th minute before skipping through the home defence five minutes later to set up Scott Eaton to drag a good chance wide from just 8 yards out. Stuart Whitehead then nodded just over the bar from Jon Harkness’ 38th minute corner.

Two minutes after half-time lively former Market Drayton and Telford striker Luke Reynolds drove inches over the bar from 20-yards after robbing Yeltz central defender Gary Knight. A minute later Niki Preston headed away a fierce drive from Russ Penn, son of former Yeltz Vase favourite Mark Penn, and on the hour Reynolds turned well to shoot over the bar. Substitute Dean Sturridge rounded Halesowen substitute goalkeeper Mark Gayle in the 68th minute but he could only strike the side-netting with the goal at his mercy.

Halesowen almost snatched a 78th minute goal when Whitehead’s terrible back-pass left Matt Lewis clear on goal but the striker was caught in two minds and hesitated too long, allowing the visiting defence to re-group with Grant Beckett hitting the rebound wide. Lewis then turned well but Whitehead blocked his 85th minute shot to concede a corner.

The Harriers should have clinched a late winner but substitute Bryan Smikle, a mid-week signing from W.B.A., put the ball past the post on 86 minutes and a minute later Sturridge somehow hit the bar from just three yards out after latching onto Andy White’s right wing cross.

Halesowen Town: Woodhall (Gayle 66); Warner, Beckett, Preston, Knight, Cooper, Cowley, Dowdall (Szewczyk 66), Williams, Lewis (Brindley 85), Smith (Amos 66). Unused Subs: Pierpoint, Thompson, Jennings.

Kidderminster Harriers: Bevan; Harkness (Sedgemore 50), Hurren (McGrath 66), Creighton, Whitehead, McClen, Blackwood, Reynolds (White 66), Russell (Smikle 66), Penn, Eaton (Sturridge 66). Unused Subs: Taylor, Howarth.

Referee: R. Smith (Halesowen)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack