We have 97 guests online
22 Jul 2006 FRD Halesowen Town 1-2 Stourbridge PDF Print E-mail

Pre-season Friendly – Saturday, 22nd July 2006
Halesowen Town 1 Stourbridge 2

Halesowen’s third pre-season friendly ended in a narrow home defeat by newly promoted Stourbridge with all three goals within a four-minute in the first-half.

Grant Beckett struck a 20-yard direct free-kick just over the bar in the 6th minute for the hosts and on 13 minutes Steve Frost flashed a header wide from Scott Stevenson’s corner at the other end. Stevenson’s 25th minute cross skidded along the Halesowen goal but a minute later Jamie ROGERS gave Stourbridge the lead from close range after his persistent run down the left of Halesowen’s penalty area.

The Glassboys increased the lead with a 29th minute OWN-GOAL when Stuart Pierpoint’s clearance from Stevenson’s corner struck Gary Knight’s back and dropped into the net. Higher league Halesowen pulled a goal back a minute later when Paul Szewczyk rolled a simple ball to find Matt LEWIS in plenty of space to beat goalkeeper Michael Langford.

Alex Cowley then placed a good chance wide from 10 yards following good work from Lewis down the right in the 39th minute and on 44 minutes Szewczyk and Lewis combined well, but this time Lee Williams wasted another 10-yard chance. In between, Stuart How outpaced Knight but volleyed wide from the edge of the area.

The Yeltz failed to make any further impression in the second period and Gary Hackett’s men almost added a third goal in the 55th minute when prolific striker Mark Bellingham robbed Pierpoint and set up How to strike the crossbar with a 25-yard drive. With four minutes remaining Danny Woodhall dived to save at the feet of Stourbridge substitute Paul Danks from Stevenson’s cross.

Halesowen Town: Woodhall; Warner, Beckett, Pierpoint (Preston 72), Knight, Cooper, Cowley (Smith 72), Szewczyk (Humphries 83), Lewis, Williams (Haywood 72), Smith (Amos HT). Unused Subs: Brindley, Thompson.

Stourbridge: Langford; Jones (Teraud 75), Frost, Brookes, Wells (Nichols 65), Bennett, Rogers (Wood 63), Broadhurst (O’Connell 81), Bellingham, How (Danks 68), Stevenson.

Referee: B. Priest (Halesowen)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack