We have 37 guests online
28 Aug 2006 SLP Gloucester City 1-3 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division – Monday, 28th August 2006

Gloucester City 1 Halesowen Town 3

Halesowen recorded another convincing victory on their travels with an exciting display of swift counter-attacking football.

In an even start to the game, Simon Forsdick clipped a 2nd minute shot wide before Gloucester’s Luke Corbett hit wide on the turn in the 5th minute and a long range 8th minute shot from Alex Sykes was collected by goalkeeper Mark Gayle.

In the swirling wind, Matt Lewis earned Halesowen’s first corner in the 9th minute and on 13 minutes Niki Preston headed at goalkeeper Matt Bath from Dave Haywood’s cross. Lewis then headed a Lee Williams cross wide a minute later. On 18 minutes the Halesowen defence blocked a shot following Gloucester’s left wing corner but the looping rebound from highly-rated youngster Jamie Reid was tipped over the bar by Gayle. A 22nd minute header from Paul Szewczyk then fell just over the Tigers’ crossbar before Tom Hamblin failed to make the best of a loose ball in the penalty area at the other end. Simon Forsdick fired a 24th minute left-foot strike just over the home bar and Haywood hit a long-range effort wide two minutes later. For the home side, a 33rd minute shot from Alex Sykes dipped just over the bar and the hosts then forced two corners a minute later.

Alex Cowley made a good run forward in the 43rd minute but his final shot was blocked in front of goal. But seconds before half-time in the 45th minute, Cowley made another superb incisive run from midfield to open up the home defence before slotting the ball through for LEWIS to coolly beat Bath from 10-yards for an excellent opening goal.

Proud Halesowen pushed on after the interval and increased their lead in the 49th minute when Haywood delivered an impeccable 60-yard cross field pass for COWLEY to cut inside and fire home a low 20-yard shot into the corner of the net with the home defence drawn again.

Jon Miller whipped in a dangerous 52nd minute free-kick for the visiting defence to clear. But lively Halesowen added a third goal in the 55th minute when LEWIS side-stepped two defenders to bury another excellent 12-yard goal after collecting from Szewczyk.

With Halesowen continuing to show good movement, Gloucester looked a well-beaten side although a 64th minute corner fell for Jason Welsh with his back to goal and he struck wide from 3 yards. With the home defence opening up again, Forsdick played a long 70th minute ball for Lewis and he did well to deliver a cross along goal but the ball was cleared.

Gayle plucked the ball from substitute Jody Bevan’s 85th minute shot but the Tigers finally notched an 86th minute consolation goal when Tom Webb turned the ball back across goal from a corner for Lyndon TOMKINS to convert from close range.
Gloucester City: Bath; Miller (Tustain 60), Reid, Thompson, Hamblin, Tomkins, Fowler (Mustoe 68), Webb, Welsh, Corbett (Bevan 60), Sykes. Unused Subs: Harris, Randall.

Halesowen Town: Gayle; Warner, Haywood, Preston, Knight, Beckett, Cowley, Lewis (Dowdall 72), Szewczyk, Williams (Amos 72), Forsdick (Smith 79). Unused Subs: Cooper, Brindley.

Referee: D. Grafton (Solihull)

Attendance: 488
Bookings: Cowley (20), Beckett (90)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack