We have 105 guests online
23 Sept 2006 SLP Wealdstone 1-3 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division – Saturday, 23rd September 2006

Wealdstone 1 Halesowen Town 3

Another three away points were successfully written in stone as Halesowen's impressive travelling form continued with a solid victory against Wealdstone at Northwood’s Chestnut Avenue ground.

The Yeltz showed no signs of a cup hangover from last Saturday, as they produced good attacking football that was too much for Wealdstone to cope with. Early on, Matt Lewis, on the back of his 4 goal showing at Telford, raced to the byline and pulled it back to Lee Williams, who from close range shot over the bar. Williams nearly redeemed himself soon afterwards when his 25 yard shot struck the base of the post. Paul Szewczyk was there to follow up, but goalkeeper John Armand made a good save.

Halesowen finally made the pressure tell on 18 minutes, when Dave Haywood's free kick was missed by the keeper, who accidentally punched Nick Amos instead of the ball. In a crowded penalty area, Szewczyk was brought down and a penalty was given. LEWIS confidently stepped up to tuck the penalty into the bottom left hand corner.

Wealdstone offered very little resistance in the first 30 minutes, but gradually made strides towards the Yeltz goal before half time. Danny Woodhall was equal to Graeme Montgomery's shot and tipped over Chris O'Leary's header, while Dean Papali sent a header narrowly wide. Williams though very nearly doubled Halesowen's lead when another 25 yard shot was well saved by Armand at full stretch. The Yeltz had an escape in first half stoppage time, when Stuart
Pierpoint was lucky to escape a red card after a clumsy challenge on Dave Lawrence, after already being booked earlier in the half.

Wealdstone upped their game at the start of the second half and created their best chance of the match on 48 minutes. Halesowen failed to clear their lines and Papali, in an excellent position, dragged his shot horribly wide. He then failed to connect with Lawrence's dangerous cross, when any sort of contact would have resulted in a goal.

The Yeltz though regrouped and got a crucial second goal on 53 minutes. HAYWOOD was left completely unmarked and struck a fierce 20 yard drive, which flew into the bottom left hand corner of the net. Wealdstone were gifted a lifeline soon after, when substitute Matt Gooderick was fouled by Pierpoint in the penalty area, and PAPALI sent Woodhall the wrong way from the resultant 69th minute penalty.

With the home side in the search of an equaliser, they left gaps at the back and SZEWCZYK made the game safe when he was left unmarked to slot the ball into the unguarded net in the 75th minute. The goal totally knocked the stuffing out of Wealdstone as Halesowen cruised home, to complete another satisfying away mission.

Wealdstone: Armand; Carbon, Moore (Christian 69), Swift (Sentance 82), S. Bamford, G. Bamford, Rozboud, O’Leary, Lawrence (Gooderick 69), Papali, Montgomery. Unused Subs: Holland, Goodhall.

Halesowen Town: Woodhall; Warner, Haywood, Preston, Pierpoint, Amos, Cowley, Lewis (Dowdall 85), Szewczyk (Beckett 76), Williams, Cooper (Smith 81). Unused Subs: Brindley, Gayle.

Referee: P. Forrester

Attendance: 251
Bookings: Pierpoint (15), Williams (90)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack