We have 41 guests online
16 Dec 2006 SLP Corby Town 0-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division – Saturday, 16th December 2006

Corby Town 0 Halesowen Town 1

Halesowen skipped up to seventh position in the table with their third successive victory to leave rock-bottom Rockingham Road outfit Corby without a win in eight and still seeking a home win.

After a slow start with few chances, Halesowen dominated the first half. On 23 minutes Rob Warner played a delightful pass for Alex Cowley to cut in, but his shot was deflected away for the first corner of the game. Two minutes later Matt Lewis’s shot was blocked after a good move saw Lee Williams feed Sean Dowdall in front of goal.

The Yeltz notched the winning goal after 30 minutes when Lewis crossed from the left for DOWDALL to side-foot past goalkeeper Darren Watts off the underside of the crossbar. Two minutes later Cowley was blocked in front of goal.

Just before the interval Halesowen came desperately close to a second goal when Watts saved Nick Amos’s header on the goal-line from a Williams free-kick and both Dowdall and Gary Knight were denied in the ensuing scramble at the foot of the post.

The Steelmen played with much more determination after the interval and finally featured in the 58th minute when Brett Darby broke clear and charged down a clearance from goalkeeper James Dormand, but Williams made a crucial saving tackle in front of an empty net. Simon Forsdick’s dangerous 62nd minute cross couldn’t be turned home after a neat interchange down the left with Lewis and another Forsdick effort was blocked two minutes later.

But Halesowen had to defend solidly late on to preserve their narrow margin. A 66th minute free-kick from Dominic Hallows found Jamie Clarke but his effort was turned onto the post by Dormand with the defence hacking clear for a corner. Three minutes later, Hallows shot inches wide from 20 yards from the resulting corner following a lengthy injury to Amos. A wide angled shot from Lewis was saved by Watts at the other end in the 74th minute before Halesowen kept out several late Corby corners with Bobby White volleying over the bar in the 86th minute.

Halesowen introduced new signings Davion Hamilton and Danny Miley to make their debuts from the substitute’s bench in the final minutes.

Corby Town: Watts; Turner, Hallows (Ward 79), Towers, Burrows, White, Darby, Goodwin (Goodman HT), Byrne (Morley 79), Clarke, Maddox. Unused Subs: Guiney, Elliott.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Warner, Hillman, Williams (Miley 90), Knight, Pierpoint, Cowley, Amos (Cooper 70), Lewis, Dowdall (Hamilton 77), Forsdick. Unused Subs: Preston, Daniels.

Referee: J. Adcock (Long Eaton)

Attendance: 167
Booked: Williams

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack