We have 41 guests online
03 Mar 2007 SLP Halesowen Town 2-1 Chippenham Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division – Saturday, 3rd March 2007

Halesowen Town 2 Chippenham Town 1

Junior Brown scored his first goal for the club as determined Halesowen came out on top of the clash between the two in-form play-off hopefuls in front of the highest Southern Premier attendance of the day.

Chippenham arrived at the Grove on the back of a five game winning sequence under new manager Adie Mings but it was Halesowen who started brightly in a stop-start first half. The game went ahead despite the heavy overnight rain with the midweek drilling of the pitch proving to be money well spent. Alex Cowley cut in from the right in the 5th minute but goalkeeper Chris Snoddy made a fingertip save. Paul Devlin’s resulting corner fell to Matt Lewis but his goal-bound 15-yard low drive was cleared off the line by Ian Herring.

But the Yeltz escaped in the 14th minute when Stuart Pierpoint failed to deal with a long punt forward from Herring under pressure from Dave Gilroy and goalkeeper James Dormand had to dive bravely at Gilroy’s feet to save. Dormand received a nose injury for his troubles, resulting in a five minute delay.

The Bluebirds took the lead in the 22nd minute when Gavin Eyre whipped in a low free-kick and Dormand could only parry GILROY’s glancing header into his own net after the ball took a close-range deflection off Pierpoint’s head. However, Dormand then did well to save Kevin Halliday’s 33rd minute free-kick from 25 yards.

Halesowen levelled with a well worked goal on 39 minutes after a spell of good passing movement saw Devlin play the ball in from the right for Simon Forsdick to play a short through ball for Lee WILLIAMS to take the ball on and calmly beat Snoddy. Just before the interval Mark Badman just failed to control Paul Milsom’s long ball with his chest and Dormand then produced a vital save to deny Gilroy after he beat last defender Gary Knight.

The second half continued to disappoint by the recent standards of both sides although Devlin laid the ball off for Williams to drive wide on 54 minutes. A minute later Lewis nodded down to Devlin but Snoddy made a flying save from his 20-yard effort. Snoddy then raced out of goal to beat Lewis to the ball after 57 minutes and at the other end Alan Griffin screwed a 58th minute shot just wide. Iain Harvey made a 70th minute goal-saving tackle on Williams in front of goal after substitute Brown pulled the ball back across goal. Brown’s 75th minute header was then headed over his own bar by Herring for a corner.

Halesowen struck the winner with the Bluebirds furious with the referee for allowing play to continue as Herring lay injured after a challenge with Dave Haywood. Substitute Davion Hamilton picked up Nick Amos’s ball out to the left wing before playing the ball in for BROWN and his partly-blocked shot looped over Snoddy into the net. Chippenham forced three injury-time corners but failed to trouble Dormand as Halesowen held onto the three important points and skip above the Bluebirds on the edge of the play-off zone.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Warner, Haywood, Williams, G. Knight, Pierpoint, Cowley, Amos, Lewis (Brown 66), Devlin, Forsdick (Hamilton 74). Unused Subs: Hillman, Taylor, Powell.

Chippenham Town: Snoddy; Adams, Halliday, Price, Milsom, Harvey, Eyre (Stanley 51), Herring (Bryan 83), Griffin (Seavill 72), Gilroy, Badman. Unused Subs: C. Knight, Etheridge.

Referee: S. J. Rushton (Stoke-on-Trent)

Attendance: 473
Booked: Devlin (65), Adams (82)

HTFC Man of the Match: Lee Williams

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack