We have 46 guests online
21 Apr 2007 SLP Halesowen Town 4-0 Stamford AFC PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division – Saturday, 21st April 2007

Halesowen Town 4 Stamford AFC 0

A hat-trick from Paul Devlin powered Halesowen to a comfortable victory over the Daniels in their final push towards the play-offs. The Yeltz truly ‘saved the best ‘til last’ with the best win of season in front of their biggest home league attendance of the campaign.

Daniel Lambert weighed in at a corpulent 52 stone on his death attending Stamford races in 1809 but Halesowen made light work of disposing of the namesake Daniels. But the fine performance was later tinged with disappointment as the other results rolled in and it became clear that Halesowen must surely win at Hitchin and rely on Hemel Hempstead or Maidenhead failing to win their final games in order to claim one of the remaining play-off places.

Prior to kick-off, Nick Amos was announced as the Supporters’ Player of the Season with Gary Knight in second place and Rob Warner third in his 50th starting game of the season.

In the third minute Devlin played the ball out to Gareth Sheldon and his cross was clipped over the bar by Simon Forsdick. Halesowen repeatedly beat the offside trap during the afternoon and Jermaine Palmer should’ve done better in the clear a minute later but he sliced wide after rounding goalkeeper Chris Sanna.

Stamford needed to win to preserve any lingering hope of making the play-offs and after 14 minutes Jason Turner burst forward before playing the ball out to Daniel French with his cross drifting just wide of the post. Forsdick hit just wide from 18 yards a minute later and Halesowen kept up the pressure by then forcing three corners in quick succession.

The Yeltz took the lead after 19 minutes when Warner’s long ball forward beat the offside flag again to put Devlin clear only to be tripped by goalkeeper Sanna with DEVLIN stepping up to smash home the resulting penalty kick. James Dormand then did well to save as French cut in from the left in from the left.

Halesowen added their second goal in the 28th minute when another long ball saw the offside flag stay down again allowing FORSDICK to chest down and turn before slotting home with ease. With the home side in control, Lee Williams headed a cross from Forsdick just over the bar a minute later. Before the break, French’s 25-yard free-kick was deflected for a corner and Turner flashed a shot wide from the left for the visitors.

Just after the interval a header from Amos looped over the bar and Devlin was put clear again after 54 minutes but Sanna made a good save. But DEVLIN made it 3-0 in the 57th minute with the best goal of the afternoon as he controlled, turned and netted superbly over Sanna from more than 20 yards out. Turner fired straight at Dormand and French wasted a 72nd minute free-kick for the well beaten visitors.

Substitute Junior Brown was put totally free again by Devlin on 73 minutes with plenty of time but struck straight at Sanna. But Brown headed on for DEVLIN to complete his fine hat-trick with his 79th minute shot hitting the corner of the net after Sanna partly saved.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Warner, Hamilton, Williams, Knight, Pierpoint, Sheldon, Amos, Devlin (Farrell 80), Palmer (Brown 70), Forsdick (Cowley 70). Unused Subs: Haywood, Powell.

Stamford AFC: Sanna; Jones, Piercewright, Bowater (Cooper 67), Julian (White 53), Matthews, Wilson, Marshall (O’Dea 70), Turner, Wormall, French. Unused Subs: Taylor, Darby.

Referee: D. Meeson (Newcastle-under-Lyme)

Attendance: 525
Booked: Piercewright (5), Sanna (19), Wormall (26), Hamilton (66), Jones (83)

Sponsors’ HTFC Man of the Match: Paul Devlin

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack