We have 100 guests online
14 Apr 2007 SLP Cheshunt 0-0 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division – Saturday, 14th April 2007

Cheshunt 0 Halesowen Town 0

Halesowen followers were left to bite their nails for the last two scheduled league games after inching slowly towards the play-off finishing line with a disappointing stalemate at Cheshunt.

Ball control was difficult on a bone-hard surface and Halesowen were troubled by Cheshunt’s long-ball tactics on several occasions. A 4th minute right-wing Cheshunt corner was cleared and in the 14th minute a long punt up-field caught out central defender Gary Knight and goalkeeper James Dormand as leading home striker Darrell Cox nipped in to head inches wide. Gareth Sheldon picked up the ball for Halesowen four minutes later but blazed the ball way over the bar. Cheshunt’s Michael Deane then delivered a 27th minute free-kick but Dormand collected as Dewayne Clark headed on.

The Yeltz failed to trouble home goalkeeper Marin Peat in the first-half although Simon Forsdick skipped into the area before screwing wide on 30 minutes and Jermaine Palmer hit a wayward volley two minutes later.

The Ambers missed a golden opportunity after being awarded a 36th minute penalty when Deane chased a long ball with Stuart Pierpoint and Dormand was judged to have fouled Deane as he raced out of goal, for which he received a yellow card. However, although Cox converted from the spot, the penalty kick was ordered to be re-taken following an infringement and from the retake Cox struck the ball against the post with Halesowen gratefully escaping as they cleared the ball.

Alex Cowley replaced Aaron Farrell at the interval and Halesowen finally forced their first corner after 56 minutes. The visitors continued to apply more pressure and forced the Ambers back into their own half but never seriously threatened to break the deadlock with another 70th minute corner cleared. Dormand then did well to gather a 73rd minute cross from Clark. In the final minute full-back Davion Hamilton struck a long-range effort past the Cheshunt post and in injury time a free-kick from substitute Lee Williams was met by Nick Amos but substitute Sean Dowdall scuffed the ball wide.

Cheshunt: Peat; Wattley, Parry, Fenton, Peddie, Allen, Hicks, Obeng, Clark, Cox (Gregoriou 90), Deane.  Unused Subs: Bashkal, Barratt, Opara, Kalli.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Warner, Hamilton, Amos, Knight, Pierpoint, Sheldon, Farrell (Cowley HT), Devlin (Williams 75), Palmer (Dowdall 85), Forsdick. Unused Subs: Haywood, Brown.

Referee: I. J. Rathbone

Attendance: 202
Booked: Dormand (35), Allen (38), Palmer (53), Hicks (64), Peddie (76)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack