We have 43 guests online
07 Apr 2007 SLP Team Bath 2-0 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division – Saturday, 7th April 2007

Team Bath 2 Halesowen Town 0

Halesowen’s play-off hopes took a severe dent after being outplayed by second-placed Team Bath. But both first-half goals owed just as much to individual defensive errors from the Yeltz with the technically superior Students kept out by several good saves from James Dormand throughout the afternoon.


Paul Devlin was unavailable due to a prior business commitment and Alex Cowley was suffering from a knee injury but was still named on the bench. A first minute corner conceded by Stuart Pierpoint was cleared and on 9 minutes Dormand raced out quickly to block from Matt Cooper after the defence failed to clear.

Team Bath took the lead in the 12th minute after Gary Knight was penalised for needless dissent with an indirect free-kick being awarded on the edge of the penalty area despite Halesowen being in possession. Captain Neil Saunders touched the ball for former Bristol City veteran Brian TINNION to easily steer the ball around the defensive wall and beat goalkeeper Dormand.

Dormand then blocked after a 22nd minute goalmouth scramble involving Cooper and Sean Canham with Marc Canham firing the loose ball over the bar. Jermaine Palmer finally won Halesowen’s first corner after 23 minutes and two minutes later Simon Forsdick made a good run towards the team Bath area. But the hosts continued to control the game with Matt Taylor’s 28th minute header looping onto the cross bar from Tinnion’s free-kick and Sean Canham hitting the rebound high. On the half-hour Nick Amos headed down for Davion Hamilton to deliver a good cross but the home defence cleared for a corner.

Team Bath increased their lead in the 37th minute when Rob Warner lost the ball on the edge of his own area leaving COOPER free with the simple task of slotting past Dormand. On the stroke of half-time, Palmer latched onto a long ball but his poke was blocked by home goalkeeper Darren Chitty racing out of goal.

Cooper flashed a free header wide from Matt Townley’s 49th minute corner before Chitty easily collected a 22-yard direct free-kick from Gareth Sheldon three minutes later. The home side should’ve added a third goal on 53 minutes but Dormand made a fine blocking save with Sean Canham completely clear on goal. Forsdick then did well to turn on the hour but his 20-yard shot was held onto by Chitty low down in probably the best effort of the afternoon from disappointing Halesowen.

With Team Bath continuing to dominate, Cooper’s 68th minute shot in front of goal was deflected for a corner. Townley’s long 71st minute ball then found Sean Canham but Pierpoint diverted away and Dormand did well to gather the resulting in-swinging corner from Townley under the crossbar.

Visiting frustration boiled over late on with manager Martin O’Connor sent off into the stands with a red card for verbal abuse towards the referee after 77 minutes and both Pierpoint and Haywood receiving late yellow cards. Team Bath were in no mood to lose their grip and late on Townley dragged a 22 yard free-kick just wide and Marc Canham found himself free but his 89th minute strike was somehow blocked in front of goal.

Team Bath: Chitty; Townley, Reilly, Dillon (Lock 90), Taylor, El-Abd, M. Canham, Saunders, Cooper (Adams 72), S. Canham, Tinnion (Lopes 80). Unused Subs: Pereira, Hines.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Warner, Haywood, Williams (Dowdall 73), Knight, Pierpoint, Hamilton, Sheldon, Amos, Palmer (Brown 62), Forsdick. Unused Subs: Farrell, Cowley, Jay.

Referee: D. Eaton (Tewkesbury)

Attendance: 175
Booked: Knight (12), Pierpoint (82), Haywood (85)

Sent Off: M. O’Connor (77)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack