We have 51 guests online
14 Oct 2006 FAC3QR Halesowen Town 1-2 King's Lynn PDF Print E-mail

FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round – Saturday, 14th October 2006

Halesowen Town 1 King’s Lynn 2

Halesowen’s FA Cup dreams were brought to an end as two late King’s Lynn goals from Matt O’Halloran finally ended their Halesowen hoodoo.

King’s Lynn were last beaten 12 games ago, ironically by Halesowen, but the jinx meant they had failed to score in the previous five encounters between the clubs. They started brightly with goalkeeper Danny Woodhall saving Mark Warren’s 4th minute shot for a corner. But the Yeltz quickly settled as Matt Lewis broke away in the 7th minute, although his pass to strike partner Paul Szewczyk was snuffed out as the visitors rapidly closed down space by pulling back five defenders. Szewczyk then laid the ball off for Simon Forsdick to strike over the bar in the 10th minute.

Nick Amos won several important headers in the King’s Lynn area and on 14 minutes he nodded on a long free-kick for Szewczyk to volley wastefully over the bar. A minute later Szewczyk’s penalty appeal was turned down after running into the area and he then touched just wide as Amos headed on another good chance in the 16th minute with Lewis just unable to reach the ball.

With chances being created at both ends, O’Halloran shot straight at Woodhall in the 19th minute after Amos and Alex Cowley lost out in midfield. Sam McMahon struck over the bar from 22 yards after 21 minutes and Michael Frew turned to curl wide on 29 minutes with Woodhall doing well to confidently catch the resulting corner.

Woodhall kept Halesowen in the game with a splendid 33rd minute blocking save when Frew was put clear on goal by Jack Defty. Szewczyk then placed a free header back across goal as he met a Lee Williams free-kick at the far post three minutes later.

Halesowen then turned the screw on the Linnets by forcing four consecutive corners. Battling Amos headed on yet again in the 37th minute but stand-in goalkeeper John Higgs did well to punch clear from Szewczyk. Higgs then did well to block Lewis’s goal-bound shot with his legs in a crowded area and from the fourth corner, Stuart Pierpoint headed wide. Four minutes before the interval, Woodhall produced his second splendid stop of the half with an acrobatic save after Alex Notman cut in to unleash an 18-yard drive.

After a long injury to Pierpoint at the start of the second period, Notman’s 53rd minute effort landed on the roof of the net. On 58 minutes Lewis shot straight at Higgs from 15 yards after a Halesowen corner was only partly cleared.

Halesowen’s best chance to take the lead came on the hour when Forsdick helped on Rob Warner’s right-wing cross for Szewczyk to turn and shoot from 5 yards but the ball rolled agonisingly back off the post into the grateful arms of Higgs.

Home man-of-the-match Pierpoint made a critical 71st minute interception from substitute Matt Nolan’s ball across goal and the visitors then had a penalty appeal turned down for a challenge by Amos on Dean West before the game exploded into life in the dying minutes.

King’s Lynn grabbed the lead on 82 minutes when Nolan played the ball for O’HALLORAN to fire low into the corner of the net from 12 yards for their first goal against Halesowen in almost nine hours of football. O’HALLORAN added his second goal into the roof of the net in the 86th minute after the ball first fell to Frew as it pinged around the area.

LEWIS gave the Yeltz late hope by stroking home an 88th minute penalty following handball in the area but Lewis then blotted his copy book by being sent off - somewhat harshly - with a straight red card for an over-eager challenge on match-winner O’Halloran.

Wayward Dave Haywood wasted the last chance by over-hitting a well placed free-kick deep into injury time.

Halesowen Town: Woodhall; Warner, Haywood, Pierpoint, Knight, Williams, Cowley, Lewis, Szewczyk (Brindley 81), Amos, Forsdick (Dowdall 84). Unused Subs: Cooper, Beckett, Gayle.

King’s Lynn: Higgs; West, Smith, Warren, C. Defty, Camm, J. Defty, McMahon, Frew, Notman (Nolan 70), O’Halloran (Norris 90). Unused Subs: Gaughran, Fry, Harvey.

Referee: B. C. O’Sullivan (Peterborough)

Attendance: 632   
Booked: J. Defty (56), McMahon (73), O’Halloran (80), Williams (90)
Sent Off: Lewis (90)
Sponsors’ HTFC Man of the Match: Stuart Pierpoint

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack