We have 35 guests online
09 Dec 2006 SLP Halesowen Town 3-1 Hemel Hempstead Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division – Saturday, 9th December 2006

Halesowen Town 3 Hemel Hempstead Town 1

Top scorer Matt Lewis notched another two goals as Halesowen fought back from behind to record their second home win of the week and continue their climb back up the table.  But the victory again also owed as much to the hard-working ethics and organisation instilled by new manager Martin O’Connor.

Halesowen made a high tempo opening with a neat 6th minute interchange between Simon Forsdick and Matt Lewis but the ball ran away from Nick Amos in the penalty area. Forsdick then set up Alex Cowley to side-step his defender in the 12th minute but his goal-bound shot struck team-mate Lewis. A minute later Stuart Pierpoint was on hand to turn Steve Sinclair’s cross away for a corner.

The Tudors snatched a surprise lead after 16 minutes when defender Rob GOULD took a forward position to steer home a loose ball from 8 yards. A minute later Sinclair struck just past the Halesowen post.

The Yeltz were undeterred and levelled just three minutes later in a text-book move when Nick Amos headed on a Lee Williams free-kick for LEWIS to nod home from 6 yards. On 21 minutes Pierpoint headed a corner from Williams inches wide and after 34 minutes Lewis fed Sean Dowdall but the ball ricocheted between Shaun Byrne and Paul Edgeworth for a corner. Three minutes later Dowdall headed a good chance weakly at Smith from just five yards after Cowley made a great run down the right wing to collect the ball and cross. Lewis then hit a 20-yard shot just wide of the upright in the 41st minute.

Halesowen took the lead on the stroke of half-time with COWLEY turning the ball home on the goal-line from Dowdall’s second effort after Smith made a good blocking save from Dowdall’s initial shot.

In the second half, Lewis made a 50-yard  run under pressure from Leon Hibbert to earn a 51st minute corner but the header from Amos was easily collected by Smith. Smith then saved a 55th minute attempt by Lewis from the left. LEWIS made it 3-1 with his 16th goal of the season in the 59th minute by drilling home from the edge of the area as the ball broke after a penalty appeal fell on deaf ears.

Halesowen defended stoutly as Hemel pushed forward late on and a 62nd minute free-kick from Charlie Mapes was cleared away near the goal-line. Goalkeeper James Dormand was alert to block from Garry Sippetts following a quickly taken 66th minute free-kick and on 71 minutes substitute Abdul Yoki struck wide from 18 yards. In injury time Dormand then made another good save to deny Sippetts.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Warner, Hillman, Williams (Cooper 78), Knight, Pierpoint, Cowley, Amos, Lewis, Dowdall (Daniels 82), Forsdick. Unused Subs: Preston, Haywood, Beckett.

Hemel Hempstead Town: Smith; Sinclair, Byrne (Chavaodza 82), Gould, Yeboah, Hibbert (Kean 63), Mapes, Herron, Sippetts, Valenti (Yoki 68), Edgeworth. Unused Subs: Jackson, Skinner.

Referee: R. Parker (Telford)

Attendance: 332
Halesowen Town Man of the Match: Matt Lewis

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack