We have 45 guests online
05 Dec 2006 SLP Halesowen Town 1-0 Rugby Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division – Tuesday, 5th December 2006

Halesowen Town 1 Rugby Town 0

Matt Lewis’s 14th goal of the season steered hard-working Halesowen to their first league win for two months. But new manager Martin O’Connor was also delighted to see his team record their first home clean sheet of season.

Lewis screwed over the bar in the 3rd minute and Alex Cowley was crowded out in Rugby’s penalty area after 11 minutes. Rugby dead-ball expert Danny Hall then put a 13th minute free-kick from 25 yards just past the post. Hall took the first corner of the game for the visitors in the 21st minute but the ball was clawed away by Halesowen debut goalkeeper James Dormand before Chris Tullin’s 22 yard shot was then deflected away for another corner.

Halesowen began to step up the pace and their first corner from Lee Williams on 26 minutes was grabbed by goalkeeper Farhad Afandiyev at the second attempt. The Yeltz grabbed their vital winner in the 36th minute when a cross from the left by Steve Hillman was helped on by Nick Amos for LEWIS to coolly side-foot home. Sean Dowdall struck over the bar in the 40th minute and six minutes into the second half a quickly taken free-kick from Williams found Lewis down the left and he crossed along the face of goal. With Halesowen harrying their opponents, Craig Herbert was forced to concede a 53rd minute corner.

On the hour Cowley’s 20-yard drive was gathered by Afandiyev but seconds later Dormand collected a 25-yard strike from Matt Gearing. Dormand’s 66th minute clearance almost caught out Afandiyev under pressure from Lewis before Dormand clutched Hall’s 72nd minute free-kick.

With Halesowen defending defiantly when necessary, Jason Taylor glanced a header wide from Hall’s 78th minute corner and although Steve Hillman gave away an 81st minute free-kick on the edge of the Halesowen area, Hall drove the free-kick against his own player in the defensive wall. With six minutes remaining Taylor then poked just wide as the ball fell loose from a free-kick.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Warner, Hillman, Pierpoint, Knight, Williams, Cowley, Lewis, Dowdall, Amos, Forsdick (Cooper 82). Unused Subs: Haywood, Preston, Brindley, Daniels.

Rugby Town: Afandiyev; Harris (Kolodynski 88), Tullin, Herbert (Commander 82), Gordon, Hall, Gearing (Smith 78), Rigby, Taylor, Stone, Stringfellow.

Referee: A. Williams (Hereford)

Attendance: 196
Booked: Cowley (30), Amos (77), Williams
Sponsors’ HTFC Man of the Match: Alex Cowley

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack