We have 34 guests online
20 Feb 2007 SLP Halesowen Town 2-3 King's Lynn PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division – Tuesday, 20th February 2007

Halesowen Town 2 King’s Lynn 3

King’s Lynn grabbed a last-gasp winner as Matt Nolan’s second goal ended Halesowen’s long unbeaten run after the Yeltz staged a tremendous fight-back to level the scores from two goals behind in an exciting encounter.

Halesowen were without club captain Lee Williams through suspension, goalkeeper James Dormand suffering from the repercussions of a car accident and Ian Cooper who looks to be out for the season with a nasty knee ligament injury. The Linnets were missing three players with on-loan Andrew Cave-Brown returning to Norwich City and both Mark Warren and Grant Cooper injured.

The visitors made a bright start and Matt Nolan’s 3rd minute cross was blocked for a corner. But Halesowen quickly settled to force their first corner in the 14th minute from vastly experienced former Scottish wide-man Paul Devlin on his debut. A second corner followed a minute later but veteran goalkeeper Paul Crichton escaped after missing the ball. Stuart Pierpoint then pumped the ball forward to earn a third corner in the 16th minute. Devlin’s dangerous 18th minute free-kick was turned on by Gary Knight but Chrichton made a smart save and Nick Amos was just inches away from meeting Troy Deeney’s cross three minutes later.

But the Linnets stunned the Grove by taking a two-goal lead within a four-minute spell. NOLAN’s 25th minute looping header from a deep cross curled around reserve goalkeeper Chris Jay to creep in at the post to put the Linnets 1-0 ahead. Substitute Jack DEFTY was introduced in the 28th minute and gave a flattering 2-0 margin with his first touch of the ball in the 29th minute when he turned with his back to goal to hit a 20-yard shot over Jay and just under the crossbar. Jay, however, did well in the 32nd minute to save low down from Luke Fell.

Halesowen were undaunted and a 36th minute Devlin free-kick found Deeney free in space but he headed wide. On 43 minutes Rob Warner laid the ball off for Thomas Taylor but his 20-yard strike was tipped around the post by Crichton. From the resulting short corner Devlin delivered a cross for defender PIERPOINT to head home his first goal of the season low down in the 44th minute and set up an exciting second-half. Seconds before the interval Devlin’s cross was turned onto the crossbar.

Four minutes into the second period Deeney’s cross was met by a Matt Lewis header with Crichton producing another reflex save to tip the ball over the bar. Devlin’s 50th minute cross then caused the ball to ricochet around the area with the Linnets escaping appeals for both handball and a back-pass to their goalkeeper. Lewis headed a 59th minute cross from Warner over the bar and the hosts went on to force two more corners as the visitors tried to defend their lead against the onslaught.

New signing Junior Brown from Chelmsley Town was handed his debut off the substitute’s bench in the 73rd minute. Jay made a good save by pushing the ball for a corner after substitute Andrew Fisk was free on the break after 77 minutes. Deeney then saw a speculative 22-yard shot drift just over the bar on 79 minutes but Jay had to race out of goal to head clear on another King’s Lynn break a minute later.

Halesowen’s hard work was rewarded with an 85th minute equaliser that appeared to have salvaged a point. Devlin swung the ball in from the left and Brown hit an excellent overhead kick from the edge of the area with DEENEY on hand to head home at the back post from close range.

But the Linnets snatched the points to break Halesowen hearts with a 90th minute winner when a clearance from Knight fell for NOLAN to side-step Warner and smash home a cracking drive into the top corner.

Halesowen Town: Jay; Warner, Hillman, Amos, Knight, Pierpoint, Cowley (Forsdick 64), Taylor (Brown 73), Lewis, Deeney, Devlin. Unused Subs: Hamilton, Haywood, Powell.

King’s Lynn: Crichton; West, Blois, Gaughran, Crane, McMahon, O’Halloran (J. Defty 28), Camm, Notman (C. Defty 57), Nolan, Fell (Fisk 45). Unused Sub: Frew.

Referee: J. Cox (Evesham)

Attendance: 308
Booked: Pierpoint (28), Deeney (39), Fisk (62), Brown (78), Camm (88)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack