We have 37 guests online
13 Jan 2007 SLP Tiverton Town 1-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division - Saturday 13th January, 2007

Tiverton Town 1 Halesowen Town 1

Halesowen Town’s consistent form continued as they halted Tiverton’s six match winning streak at Ladysmead.  At the same time, the Yeltz extended their own unbeaten run to eight matches with another battling performance, and held firm at the end, despite the late dismissal of Matt Lewis.

The Halesowen squad arrived at Tiverton after swapping onto the Supporters’ coach after their own coach broke down en route – leaving the supporters to wait for an hour for replacement transport.

In the early stages, Halesowen’s defence struggled with the height and pace of Tivvy’s No. 9 Carl Cliff-Brown and he sent a couple of early efforts straight at James Dormand, who also kept out Danny Harris’s fiercely struck free kick on 8 minutes. On 13 minutes, a superb cross-field ball from Cliff-Brown released Nat Pepperell on the left flank. His cross fell to Chris Holloway who pulled his effort wide.

Tiverton’s early pressure paid dividend’s on 25 minutes when they were awarded a penalty. The Yeltz struggled to clear their lines from a corner and the referee adjudged handball by Matt Lewis in the crowded penalty area. Lewis got booked for his troubles and Pepperell stepped up and confidently dispatched the penalty.
Halesowen though weren’t to be outdone and with their first shot of the game equalised on 32 minutes. On only his second appearance for the club David McDermott picked the ball up near the half way line, beat a couple of defenders and brilliantly struck the ball home to cap a fine individual goal. Tivvy though continued to pose the greater threat at the end of the first half, with Dormand again well positioned to keep out Tom Gardner’s header.

The Yeltz, despite being second best for most of the first half, came racing out of the blocks at the start of the second half and nearly took the lead on 49 minutes. A terrific cross from McDermott was nearly diverted in by Mannie Smith who couldn’t get enough contact with the header to force it home. A minute later, an awful clearance by Tivvy keeper Kevin Readings fell straight to Troy Deeney, who couldn’t capitalise, seeing his effort forced wide by the grateful arms of Readings. The Tiverton keeper was almost punished again when he dropped McDermott’s cross, but managed to gather it before it crossed the line.

Martin O’Connor then made a double substitution bringing on Sean Dowdall and Nick Amos and Dowdall nearly made an instant contribution, but saw his shot go into the side netting. He then missed a better chance on 77 minutes when Amos’s flick on fell to Dowdall who diverted his close range effort wide. The home side nearly grabbed a late winner when Rob Warner’s weak header fell invitingly to Richard Lammacraft, who steered his effort wide.

The late drama continued when Lewis was controversially sent off on 89 minutes for picking up his second yellow card, for what looked like stopping a quick Tiverton free kick in a good position. With the home side desperately searching for a late winner, Paul Wyatt saw his effort in the fourth minute of injury time well beaten out by Dormand, as the Yeltz held on for their third successive draw.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Warner, Hillman, Cooper, Knight, Smith, McDermott (Amos), Taylor, Lewis, Deeney (Dowdall), Forsdick. Unused Subs: Williams, Pierpoint, Haywood.

Referee: M. Adkins

Attendance: 502
Sent Off: Lewis (89)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack