We have 47 guests online
26 Dec 2006 SLP Halesowen Town 3-2 Banbury United PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division – Tuesday, 26th December 2006

Halesowen Town 3 Banbury United 2

Top striker Matt Lewis cracked two late goals to maintain Halesowen’s impressive surge up the table under new manager Martin O’Connor with their thirteenth point from five games.

Halesowen made a tremendous start when former Chelmsley Town striker Troy DEENEY latched onto a long ball and expertly beat goalkeeper Dean Thornton from 15 yards in the 2nd minute. Deeney almost hit a second goal five minutes later but hit a rebound straight at Thornton from six yards after Lewis burst through and Thornton saved.

After 9 minutes a cross from former Yeltz striker Howard Forinton was hacked away and Andy Baird’s effort from the resulting corner was cleared off the line. Forinton almost caught out goalkeeper James Dormand at the other end as he collected a back-pass on the edge of his area. Alex Cowley’s 21st minute goal-line cross from the right was then cleared off the line by Kieran Sullivan. But as Banbury continued to push forward, Dormand escaped by back-tracking after initially failing to clear from Jon Gardiner and then saved Baird’s header from the 23rd minute corner. On the half-hour Dormand blocked again from Baird. On 36 minutes Stuart Pierpoint headed wide from Lee Williams’ corner.

The Puritans levelled just two minutes into the second half when the ball was played in for GARDINER to hit a low, raking drive past Dormand from the edge of the area. Banbury then went ahead after 61 minutes with substitute Ady FULLER blasting home from the penalty spot after Gary Knight was penalised for pulling back Forinton. Three minutes later Baird burst through but Dormand saved.

Halesowen weathered the storm to make a spirited late fightback. Simon Forsdick fed Deeney in the 70th minute but his effort was blocked for a corner and Cowley then delayed too long before shooting from a good position in the 73rd minute.

LEWIS equalised to make it 2-2 in the 74th minute by curling a delightful direct free-kick into the corner of the net after Forsdick was brought down on the edge of the area. In a lively ending to the game Deeney was put clear but lashed the ball at Thornton in the 78th minute. The Yeltz grabbed an 84th minute winner when Deeney held the ball up for substitute Grant Beckett to sweep the ball out for LEWIS to steer the ball past Thornton.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Warner, Haywood, Williams (Cooper 65), Knight, Pierpoint, Cowley, Taylor (Beckett 79), Deeney (Hamilton 87), Lewis, Forsdick. Unused Subs: Preston, Daniels.

Banbury United: Thornton; Bridges, Kinch (Fuller HT), Sullivan, Blossom, Pond (Redknap 34), Stanbridge, Lamb, Forinton, Baird, Gardiner. Unused Sub: Lazarus.

Referee: O.Yates (Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs.)

Attendance: 429

Booked: Cowley (71), Bridges (86), Blossom (89).

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack