We have 80 guests online
01 Jan 2007 SLP Banbury United 1-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division – Monday, 1st January 2007

Banbury United 1 Halesowen Town 1

Tireless Troy Deeney struck a sensational equaliser to secure Halesowen’s fourth point against Banbury over the Christmas period. The former Chelmsley Town striker is expected to sign forms with Walsall later this week and the Yeltz will be keen to secure a new on-loan deal.

But the Yeltz were disappointed to return from Banbury with only a draw in a game they dominated with their goalkeeper James Dormand barely troubled.
In the Christmas holiday return fixture with the Puritans, Stuart Bridges saw his 2nd minute corner cleared and Paul Lamb ballooned over the bar in the 6th minute for the home side. Rob Warner’s 11th minute free-kick was turned away for a corner with Stuart Pierpoint inches away from meeting a cross from Lee Williams for the visitors before Deeney and Ian Cooper did well to earn a 13th minute corner. Pierpoint then cleared from Howard Forinton on 17 minutes following a long clearance from goalkeeper Dean Thornton.

Halesowen enjoyed a good spell later in the first half starting with a 21st minute corner. A minute later Cooper lofted the ball back into the penalty area and Matt Lewis swivelled as the ball dropped over his head but his volley from a tight angle was turned around the post by Thornton for another corner. A sloppy back-pass from Bridges then let in Simon Forsdick to blast over the bar from 12 yards. Deeney burst through from the left beating three defenders but was blocked in front of goal by Thornton after 31 minutes. At the other end Andy Baird’s 36th minute shot was deflected wide and George Redknap hit over the bar a minute later. Two minutes before the interval the Yeltz missed a great chance when Deeney’s shot fell to Lewis in front of goal but his shot was blocked and Tom Taylor struck the rebound wide.

The visitors kept up the pressure at the start of a second half made difficult by yet more continuous rain and Thornton gratefully collected in the 47th minute after a defensive slice. But Banbury took the lead against the run of play from Jon GARDNER’s 52nd minute penalty after Pierpoint was penalised for wrapping his leg around Forinton in the area.

However, Halesowen deservedly levelled two minutes later when Lewis headed on for DEENEY to hit home a spectacular volley. On 59 minutes Cooper put Deeney through again but goalkeeper Thornton blocked for a corner and Lewis then headed a 68th minute free-kick straight at Thornton. After 73 minutes Forsdick passed for Taylor to cross but Cooper’s shot was blocked and the resulting corner was scrambled clear. Deeney and Taylor combined well on 75 minutes to set up Lewis and a minute later Taylor drove just wide from 20 yards.

A 78th minute curling free-kick from the edge of the area by Lewis was palmed away by Thornton and two minutes from time Thornton collected a free-kick from Williams as Halesowen had to settle for a point.

Banbury United: Thornton; Bridges, Kinch, Sullivan, Blossom, Lamb (Pond 70), Stanbridge (Lazarus 75), Redknap, Forinton (Fuller 81), Baird, Gardner.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Warner, Hillman, Williams, Knight, Pierpoint, Cooper, Taylor, Lewis, Deeney, Forsdick (Haywood 86). Unused Subs: Preston, Beckett, Hamilton, Powell.

Referee: C. Williams (Cheltenham)

Attendance: 460

Booked: Williams (66), Blossom (78)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack