We have 64 guests online
03 Feb 2007 SLP Clevedon Town 0-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division – Saturday, 3rd February 2007

Clevedon Town 0 Halesowen Town 1

Simon Forsdick kept Halesowen’s impressive run of form going with a winning goal in the dying seconds at the Hand Stadium to push the Yeltz into fourth spot in the league table. The Seasiders were reduced to ten men for the final seven minutes after the dismissal of Andy Gurney.

But the Yeltz could easily have sown up the points much earlier after creating a host of early chances. Nick Amos beat the offside trap to put Troy Deeney clear on goal in the 3rd minute but goalkeeper Danny Greaves made a good save. Deeney then laid the ball off for Dave Haywood to fire over the bar three minutes later. In the 8th minute Deeney curled another shot just wide and in the 10th minute a bad back-pass put Deeney clear again but he struck wide of the mark once more. On 20 minutes another good move ended with Lee Williams driving a 20-yard shot just inches over the bar. Four minutes before the interval Haywood’s free-kick was turned away for a corner.

Clevedon looked unconvincing going forward all afternoon although James Dormand did well to claw away Mitchell Page’s 12th minute header and then easily collected a 29th minute header from Danny Haines. Four minutes into the second period Dormand then saved a wide-angled shot from Craig Davidge. Tom Taylor headed a Williams free-kick just past the Clevedon post on 55 minutes and two minutes later Gurney hit a low drive just wide at the other end.

Forsdick made a fine run through the centre in the 67th minute but Greaves collected Amos’s header from the resulting corner. The ever-dangerous Deeney then nodded Haywood’s 75th minute free-kick over the bar.

Late on, manager Martin O’Connor made a brave tactical change to try to breach the Seasiders’ defence. Forsdick was moved onto the right with substitute Davion Hamilton operating down the left. Matt Lewis was also introduced up-front in the final half-hour with Amos moving back to midfield. But Hamilton lost out with his first touch on 79 minutes and a long ball found Clevedon substitute Matt Rawlins but he curled wide of goal.

Halesowen’s task was made a little easier when Clevedon were reduced to ten men in the 83rd minute after Gurney received two yellow cards within a minute. His first booking resulted from dissent and his second dismissable offence resulted from needlessly elbowing Amos.

The Yeltz went on to create several late chances. Gary Knight headed at Greaves in the 86th minute and in the 89th minute Hamilton crossed for Taylor to bundle the ball wide. With the clock just showing 90 minutes Taylor played the ball out to the left and Hamilton’s dangerous low cross was met by FORSDICK sliding home the last-gasp winner at the far post.

Clevedon Town: Greaves; Scott, Trought, Bater (Romhdane 58), Hendy, Clark, Davidge, Gurney, Pitcher (O’Connor 75), Page (Rawlins 75), Haines. Unused Subs: Jacobs, Witcombe.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Warner, Haywood, Williams (Lewis 60), Knight, Smith, Cooper (Hamilton 73), Taylor, Amos, Deeney, Forsdick. Unused Subs: Pierpoint, Hillman, Powell.

Referee: N. Brimming (Gloucestershire)

Attendance: 213

Booked: Haywood (21), Gurney (82)

Sent Off: Gurney (83)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack