We have 49 guests online
13 Oct 2007 FAC3QR Evesham United 3-0 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

F.A. Cup sponsored by E.ON 3rd Qualifying Round – Saturday, 13th October 2007

Evesham United 3 Halesowen Town 0

Halesowen crashed out of the FA Cup with an embarrassing defeat at Midland Division Evesham. The shock result and financial implications hastened an amazing week of news off the pitch starting with the departure of manager Martin O’Connor, together with his assistant Graham Hyde, ahead of a major takeover with accompanying big-name appointments and exciting plans for the future.

For the game itself Evesham manager Paul West summed up his early kick-off victory in measured terms. “We were defeated 2-1 at AFC Wimbledon at the same stage last season, but didn’t enjoy ourselves. So I told the players to go out and enjoy it. We watched Halesowen on Tuesday and they played the same way and format today, without variation – so we knew exactly what to expect. That 4-1 win over King’s Lynn was the basis of my pre-match talk – it put fear into my players whereas perhaps Halesowen players only thought they had to turn up in order to progress. Nathan Vaughan was excellent when he needed to be – we know he’s one of the best goalkeepers in the league. But my players had more heart and desire than the opposition today.”

The first half was a cagey affair with just a couple of efforts from the Robins causing any real danger. Evesham won a 4th minute corner and in the 5th minute Steve Luckett blasted a free-kick wide from a good position on the edge of the penalty area. Halesowen’s Nick Wright found himself free in the 13th minute and crossed from a tight angle but the ball failed to reach Liam McDonald. Shane Paul was then blocked four minutes later after being set up by Wright.

On 26 minutes a long ball found Evesham’s Mark Owen but James Dormand made a good save to beat the ball away. A 34th minute Halesowen corner from Paul was delivered straight to goalkeeper Vaughan before Dormand went down well again to save at the feet of Mark Owen. Wright was then crowded out in the Evesham area and lacked support in the 40th minute.

Evesham were quickly out of the traps in the second half to leave Halesowen’s Cup dreams in tatters with two goals in ten minutes. OWEN picked up the ball in the 47th minute with Sean Platt caught out but there seemed little danger until he skipped past two defenders and curled a 20-yard shot that Dormand was unable to save. The Yeltz almost equalised with their best chance of the game in the 49th minute when Lee Williams found McDonald and although his shot beat Vaughan the ball rebounded agonisingly off the inside of the far post. Vaughan then saved from Paul three minutes later. Dormand just managed to get to a 55th minute curling effort from Mark Hands and from the resulting corner James Knott hit a snapshot just wide. Eager Evesham made it 2-0 in the 57th minute when Owen put KNOTT through to round goalkeeper Dormand to slot home.

Halesowen tried to push forward to salvage the game but with little success. Wright flashed a 66th minute shot wide and Vaughan produced a tremendous save to tip a header from substitute Aaron Farrell over the bar in the 72nd minute. A minute later Wright struck the ball onto the roof of the net and in the 74th minute Vaughan punched clear with Michael Hayden clearing off the line. Wright beat Vaughan in the 79th minute but the ball was hooked off the line by Anthony Watson. Vaughan saved again from Farrell on the turn in the 82nd minute.

Evesham made the victory even more emphatic with a third goal in the fifth minute of injury time when substitute Danny SCHEPPEL curled another 20-yard shot beyond Dormand to complete a miserable afternoon for Halesowen and end the short reign of management team Martin O’Connor and Graham Hyde.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Platt, Hamilton, Pierpoint, Knight, Amos (Farrell 63), Denny, Paul, Wright, Williams (O’Garro 60), McDonald. Unused Subs: Francis, O’Connor, Jay.

Evesham United: Vaughan; Watson, Hayden, Hands, Luckett, Lutz, Hodnett, Hands (Scheppel 80), Owen, Knott (Lennon 88), Clarke. Unused Subs: Wood, Davis, Fitter.

Referee: J. Thornhill (Ilkeston)

Attendance: 332

Booked: Williams (38), Knott (75)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack