We have 118 guests online
19 Jan 2008 SLP Halesowen Town 3-0 Merthyr Tydfil PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 19th January 2008

Halesowen Town 3 Merthyr Tydfil 0

Halesowen moved to joint top of the table with two-goal Dean Brennan completing a comfortable victory after Merthyr were reduced to ten men for an hour by the dismissal of goalkeeper Ashley Morris.

In one of the few league games to survive the weather, Nick Amos stepped into central defence to replace suspended Stuart Pierpoint. The Yeltz made a good start against the weakened visitors and could have taken a 3rd minute lead when defensive chaos led to the ball falling to Zema Abbey but he struck the post in front of goal. A minute later Morris caught a 20-yard effort from Shane Paul and Paul headed back across goal in the 17th minute following a good cross from the left by Ikechi Anya. Matthew Glassey was then fortunate to see his sliced clearance fall to Morris from another 26th minute cross from Anya. Merthyr’s Ross Porter then tried his luck with a 35-yard drive at home goalkeeper Mark Osborn.

The game’s defining event arrived on 32 minutes when goalkeeper Morris was shown a red card for handling the ball outside his area in denying Brennan and club-captain Andrew Thomas was forced to take over the goalkeeping gloves. With Halesowen initially failing to test Thomas, it was Lee Hartshorn who fired over the bar in the 38th minute for the visitors before Paul burst forward to blast over Merthyr’s bar three minutes later.

Halesowen went ahead in first-half stoppage time when ABBEY converted Anya’s low left-wing cross from close range. Ten-man Merthyr battled bravely at the start of the second period with Osborn collecting Glassey’s 48th minute cross and Darren Griffiths turning well in the box to hit a low drive inches past the post five minutes later. Matthew Harris then threaded the ball through to Darren Griffiths but Osborn raced out to gather the ball at his feet.

The Yeltz wrapped up the points when a neat interchange of passes saw Darren Caskey set up BRENNAN to easily beat Thomas from ten yards out. Substitute Davion Hamilton caused havoc with his tricky skills down the left and won a 74th minute corner with Paul curling just over the bar. Hamilton then broke superbly down the left from the half-way line and delivered a fine cross for BRENNAN to rush in and make it 3-0 after 76 minutes.

Hamilton himself burst forward again in the 80th minute to poke wide and Paul’s shot was saved by Thomas’s feet a minute later. Osborn beat away Lloyd Martin’s 84th minute shot for a Merthyr corner before Hamilton put Paul through in the 88th minute with stand-in ‘keeper Thomas making another stop. In the final minute Paul’s effort went just past the post on the turn against the rapidly tiring Merthyr ten.

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Lycett, Perpetuini, Pearce, Amos, Denny, Paul (Waite 90), Caskey, Abbey, Brennan, Anya (Hamilton 70). Unused Subs: Abassi, Hill.

Merthyr Tydfil: Morris; Porter, Martin, Wharton, Dale Griffiths, Rewbury, M. Harris, Thomas, Darren Griffiths (Cushen 88), Hartshorn, Glassey (Evans 73). Unused Subs: T. Harris, Shepherd.

Referee: M. J. Amphlett (Kidderminster) 

Attendance: 451

Booked: Amos (27), Brennan (42), Rewbury (42), Wharton (72)

Sent Off: Morris (32)

Sponsors’ Man of the Match: Dean Brennan

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack