We have 47 guests online
27 Oct 2007 SLP Halesowen Town 1-1 Cheshunt PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 27th October 2007

Halesowen Town 1 Cheshunt 1

New manager Morell Maison and his much-changed team had to settle for a draw under the consulting eye of Ron Atkinson after bottom of the table Cheshunt snatched a late equaliser.

The highest attendance of the season at the Grove saw goalkeeper Mark Osborn and striker Dean Brennan handed their debuts although another recent signing Chris West remained ineligible. The Yeltz made a lively start with their new brand of positive play and in the 3rd minute Darren Caskey played the ball to Brennan but his lob was turned away for a corner by visiting goalkeeper Nicholas Christofi and four minutes later Christofi punched a Lee Williams cross off the head of Brennan. Shane Paul then delivered an 11th minute cross to Nick Amos but he nodded his free header marginally wide. Tricky Paul then made another fine run and cross four minutes later but Brennan was unfortunate to see his header rebound off the angle of the crossbar and post. Paul then made a clever flick for Paul Devlin to hit the side netting and Williams volleyed just wide on 20 minutes.

But the Ambers were left bemused in the 25th minute when Harry Hunt crashed the ball into the roof of the net only for the referee to pull back play to award the visitors a free-kick due to the original advantage being nullified by a subsequent offside flag. Five minutes later Dewayne Clarke fired wide of an empty net after goalkeeper Osborn lost the ball and found himself out of position. Paul appealed for a 31st minute penalty but only received a yellow card for diving and in the 37th minute Cheshunt’s Darrell Cox headed a Dave Hicks free-kick just wide at the other end.
The Yeltz finally grabbed the lead in the final minute of the first half when Stuart PIERPOINT rose to head his first goal of the season firmly past Christofi from Caskey’s free-kick from the left. Davion Hamilton then skipped through the Cheshunt before blasting wide seconds before the interval.

Cheshunt failed to give in and belied their lowly league status with a plucky second-half performance in which they enjoyed considerable possession of the ball. Osborn produced a splendid 54th minute save to tip away a rasping drive from Hicks and Williams was on hand to head the resulting corner off the line. A minute later Devlin lobbed just wide from Pierpoint’s long ball for the Yeltz.

Brennan had the ball in the net again on 66 minutes but his header was ruled offside and Williams struck the crossbar with a half-volley at the end of a delightfully neat move. Three corners then followed in quick succession with Pierpoint nodding just over the bar.

But Halesowen made the price for not sewing up the points as the Ambers snatched a 78th minute equaliser when the ball dropped for captain Steve OBENG to slam the ball into the roof of the net from close range after the home defence failed to clear a corner. In stoppage time Devlin’s shot was blocked and Brennan headed just wide but Halesowen had to settle for a draw.

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Hamilton, Spencer (Platt 60), Pearce, Pierpoint, Amos, Williams (Denny 83), Caskey, Brennan, Devlin, Paul. Unused Subs: Francis, O’Garro, Dormand.

Cheshunt: Christofi; Fenton, Parry, Peddie, Wattley, Allen, Hicks, Obeng, Hunt (Gregoriou 88), Cox, Clarke. Unused Subs: Charalambous, Reece, Cooper.

Referee: A. Newbold (Loughborough)

Attendance: 429

Booked: Paul (31), Amos (57)

Sponsors’ Halesowen Town Man of the Match: Stuart Pierpoint

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack