We have 45 guests online
02 Feb 2008 SLP Chippenham Town 0-0 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 2nd February 2008

Chippenham Town 0 Halesowen Town 0
High-flying Halesowen gained a useful point at play-off rivals Chippenham after an explosive opening to the game resulted in two players being sent off and Mark Osborn saving a penalty.

Yeltz defender Decio Gomes received a straight red card after being judged to have handled Scott Lye’s volley on the goal-line after just 9 minutes. But in-form goalkeeper Mark Osborn kept the scores level by saving the resulting penalty kick by Kye Holly. Dean Brennan’s 15th minute header was saved by home goalkeeper Chris Snoddy before both Jay Denny and Zema Abbey had shots blocked in a 17th minute attack.

Chippenham’s Aaron Cornwall then received his marching orders with another straight red card in an ill-tempered second flashpoint after 19 minutes. Cornwall was fouled by Darren Caskey but as both players squared up to each other, Cornwall delivered a head-butt to the Halesowen captain who escaped with a yellow card. Angry Cornwall had to be restrained in the player’s tunnel with another looming ban adding to his recent lengthy ban received for Sunday football.

With both sides down to ten men, the game developed into an even contest with Brennan firing a 27th minute half-volley onto the roof of Chippenham’s net and Abbey set up Shane Paul to force a corner down the slope two minutes later. On 36 minutes Sean Seavill dragged a shot wide of the Halesowen goal and after 38 minutes Paul embarked on a long run from his own half but over-ran the ball in the Bluebirds’ penalty area. Just before the interval Davion Hamilton cut in from the left to fire wide and at the other end Kevin Halliday sliced a good chance wide after Seavill headed on a right wing cross.

Osborn made a fine save to deny Seavill’s 15-yard effort after Halliday pulled the ball back two minutes into the second period and the dangerous Seavill drove wide again in the 64th minute. Both teams made double substitutions in an attempt to break the stalemate and substitute Luke Gullick somehow put the ball wide with Osborn off his line just seconds after arriving on the pitch in the 66th minute. With Chippenham still unable to find the net, Lye hit high over the bar in the 74th minute. Battling Halesowen finished the game on top although substitute Eldon Maquemba’s 84th minute penalty appeal fell on deaf ears after he attempted to turn the last defender.

But it was both goalkeepers who kept the scores level with superb final minute saves preserving Halesowen’s third consecutive clean sheet and leaving goal-shy Chippenham with their third consecutive 0-0 draw. Osborn saved with his legs after Gullick beat Stuart Pierpoint to be clear on goal and as Halesowen broke away, home goalkeeper Snoddy returned the compliment with an equally good save to deny substitute Ikechi Anya.

Chippenham Town: Snoddy; Adams, Halliday, Price, McEntegart, Badman (Gullick 65), Lye, Holly, Seavill (Allison 65), Cornwall, Pratt. Unused Subs: Metitiri, Kemp.

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Gomes, Perpetuini, Lycett, Pierpoint, Denny, Paul (Hill 87), Caskey (Anya 57), Abbey, Brennan, Hamilton (Maquemba 57). Unused Subs: Abassi, Waite.

Referee: R. Vaughan (Claverham, N. Somerset)  Attendance: 474

Booked: Caskey (19), Price (32)

Sent Off: Gomes (9), Cornwall (19)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack