We have 49 guests online
09 Feb 2008 SLP Halesowen Town 5-1 Tiverton Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 9th February 2008

Halesowen Town 5 Tiverton Town 1

Halesowen kept up their rich vein of form by thumping five goals past mid-table Tiverton in another emphatic victory.

The Yeltz dominated a one-sided contest from start to finish and visiting goalkeeper Ray Johnston made an early save to scoop away Dean Brennan’s mis-hit shot at the foot of his post from Ikechi Anya’s 8th minute cross. A clever move from Anya then saw Johnston clear under pressure from Brennan two minutes later.

Halesowen took the lead on 14 minutes when Shane PAUL neatly placed Zema Abbey’s lay-off just inside the post despite Johnston managing to fingertip the ball. Matt Bye struck a 21st minute half-volley just over the home bar before David Perpetuini’s cross was turned away for a Yeltz corner five minutes later. Central defender Stuart PIERPOINT made it 2-0 in the 27th minute by touching home Brennan’s glancing header on the line from Darren Caskey’s corner.

But Tivvy were needlessly handed a lifeline with a bizarre 35th minute own-goal when Decio GOMES attempted to clear a Tiverton free-kick but only succeeded in slamming into his own net with the ball slipping through goalkeeper Mark Osborn’s fingers. A minute later Tiverton goalkeeper Johnston just kept out Caskey’s 20-yard free-kick by turning the ball over the bar with his fingers and seconds before the interval Brennan struck over the bar.

Halesowen continued to dominate the start of the second period although the game remained at just 2-1 for a lengthy spell. Paul’s 51st minute cross was headed on by Abbey but Johnston collected at Brennan’s feet and Brennan then fed Paul but hard-working midfielder Jay Denny screwed his shot wide of the mark in one-way traffic. On the hour Denny and Paul combined in another good build-up but the cross was cleared and from the following corner Brennan’s half-volley was crowded out. After 70 minutes the ever-involved Gomes’ growing confidence saw him burst forward but Johnston held onto his long range effort.

Despite home goalkeeper Osborn being a spectator for much of the half, Halesowen were given a fright in the 71st minute as substitute Tom Knighton flicked on to put Simon Bochenski free but his shot clipped the top of the crossbar.

But Halesowen cemented their dominance with three further late goals. Leading marksman BRENNAN lashed home the goal of the game from 22 yards in the 77th minute with goalkeeper Johnston rooted to the spot. The referee played a good advantage after an infringement on Eldon Maquemba to leave substitute Davion HAMILTON free to calmly slot the ball past Johnston and notch his first goal of the season in the 88th minute. Substitute MAQUEMBA then made it 5-1 in the final minute when his ball across goal from the left-wing was deflected into the net. Maquemba received a yellow card for his exuberant goal celebrations and almost claimed another goal seconds later but Johnston made a good save with his legs. There was still time for Osborn to deny Tiverton’s Knighton in the lengthy period of stoppage time caused by an earlier head injury to Dennis Pearce.

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Gomes, Perpetuini, Pearce (Amos 63), Pierpoint, Denny, Paul (Hamilton 76), Caskey, Abbey (Maquemba 86), Brennan, Anya. Unused Subs: Lycett, Hill.

Tiverton Town: Johnston; O’Brien, Vinnicombe, Villis, Rudge, Gardner, Bye, Young (Knighton 65), Bochenski, Fraser, Veale (Gould 72). Unused Subs: Wyatt, Szabo.

Referee: A. Newbold (Loughborough)

Attendance: 462

Booked: Maquemba (89), Gomes (90)

Sponsors’ Man of the Match: Jay Denny

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack