We have 74 guests online
03 Nov 2007 SLP Tiverton Town 1-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 3rd November 2007

Tiverton Town 1 Halesowen Town 1

Draw specialists Halesowen let an early lead slip to record their fifth away draw out of six games on the road. The result left Halesowen without a win at Ladysmead after five times of asking, although a draw was ultimately a fair result. However, this was surely the best chance to date of taking three points home from the long Devon trip against the below-par hosts who played for an hour without a regular goalkeeper.

Tivvy forced the early pace with Stuart Pierpoint losing out to give Tom Knighton and Sean Szabo a sight of goal in the 3rd minute but Dennis Pearce cleared up. Goalkeeper Mark Osborn then collected a 5th minute cross and a 7th minute ball from Nathan Rudge found Radley Veale but his cross was turned away for a corner by Pearce. Nick Amos gave away an 8th minute free-kick on the edge of area, but Pierpoint blocked.

But the Yeltz snatched an 11th minute lead when Dean BRENNAN was first to a long ball to lob his first Halesowen goal into an empty net after home goalkeeper Richard Fey rushed out of goal. Pierpoint’s 14th minute header was then tipped over the bar only to be ruled offside and in the 21st minute Paul Devlin worked well to set free Guy Lopez, a new signing from Dorchester, but Fey blocked. At the other end Pierpoint made another good block from Chris Vinnicombe’s 23rd minute cross. Devlin robbed the home defence after 25 minutes but just failed to find Brennan.

Tivvy’s recent goalkeeping woes struck again in the 28th minute when Fey was forced out of the game and full-back Tom Gardner took over the goalkeeping gloves. The rookie goalkeeper gathered the ball at the second attempt under pressure from Brennan in the 36th minute from Jay Denny’s deep cross. Three minutes before the interval substitute Jak Martin drilled a low drive wide of the Halesowen goal.

Halesowen defended at the start of the second period and Osborn made a good save at the feet of young striker Szabo in the 47th minute and then punched clear from Will Gardner after 54 minutes. The visitors then broke well and enjoyed a better spell midway through the second half. Devlin set up Darren Caskey to blaze over the bar from a good position 15 yards out in the 65th minute and two minutes later Devlin headed on for Brennan but his volley produced a fine save from makeshift goalkeeper Tom Gardner. Devlin combined with Brennan again in the 67th minute but Brennan was crowded out in the area and on 69 minutes substitute Lee Williams - playing despite his severe toothache - chipped just wide of the post.

But Halesowen were not strong enough to hold onto the lead and Denny was at fault for losing out to Tom Knighton on the wing and he simply set up his captain Nathan RUDGE in space to slam home the 74th minute equaliser. A minute later Tom Gardner made a good save to keep out a header from Amos as Halesowen forced two quick corners.

Late on, Glen Gould hit a screamer just past Osborn’s post and substitute Chris Young side-footed wide. Vinnicombe then hit an 88th minute free-kick from 20 yards over the bar.

Tiverton Town: Fey (Martin 28); T. Gardner, Vinnicombe, Villis, Rudge, Gould, W. Gardner, Veale, Knighton, Szabo (Young 80), Wyatt (Groves 25). Unused Sub: Clarke.

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Denny, Hamilton, Pearce, Pierpoint, Amos, Paul (Francis 72), Lopez (Williams 44), Brennan, Devlin, Caskey. Unused Subs: O’Garro, Platt, Dormand.

Referee: A. Matthew (Kings Stanley)

Attendance: 384

Booked: Devlin (60), Veale (68)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack