We have 45 guests online
01 Dec 2007 SLP Halesowen Town 0-2 Hemel Hempstead Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 1st December 2007

Halesowen Town 0 Hemel Hempstead Town 2

Hemel’s Dean Cracknell cracked Halesowen’s eight game unbeaten league run by notching an early goal and setting up another at the end of the first half.  Lively striker Eldon Maquemba inspired Halesowen to create plenty of chances only to find themselves out of luck and Hemel goalkeeper Ian Brown was in defiant mood with a string of fine saves.

Halesowen made it difficult for themselves with their defence left watching as Hemel made a perfect start when Drew Roberts pulled the ball back for CRACKNELL to steer the ball home in apparent slow-motion in the 2nd minute. Cracknell then fired just over the bar from 25 yards two minutes later.

The rest of the first half saw the Yeltz press forward to force six corners and a good penalty appeal was turned down. Darren Caskey put Maquemba through to strike wide after rounding Brown in the 5th minute and Brown stood tall to deny Maquemba after he latched onto Simon Sweeney’s weak back-pass in the 9th minute. Maquemba combined with Dean Brennan to set up Darren Caskey on the volley in the 26th minute but Brown made yet another good stop to turn the ball away. A fine move after 31 minutes then saw Shane Paul set Maquemba free and his deflected shot lead to a goalmouth scramble with Brennan finally putting the ball in the net only for the referee to spot shirt tugging. Brown gathered the ball low down under pressure from Paul in the 37th minute and Brennan fired straight at Brown five minutes later.

But the Tudors punished Halesowen to take a two-goal lead a minute before the interval when Cracknell drove forward from midfield to set up Paul EDGEWORTH to slam home a left-footed shot from 15-yards.

Halesowen manager Morell Maison made a brave triple substitution at the break but was unable to change his team’s fortunes. Caskey struck a 50th minute free-kick just wide of the upright and Maquemba made a good left wing run before delivering a fine hard, low cross two minutes later.

The hosts continued to play with plenty of endeavour during the second period but could not find a breakthrough. Maquemba worked his way behind the visiting defence before squirting wide in the 76th minute and then cut-in to blaze over the bar after 83 minutes. With two minutes remaining Caskey’s fierce shot brought another excellent save from Brown and Nathan Bowden-Haase cleared the ball off the line after Ruben Wiggins-Thomas followed up from the rebound.

But Brown saved his best until last and summed up Halesowen’s afternoon with a magnificent injury-time reflex save when substitute Zema Abbey nodded down for Maquemba in front of goal.

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Lycett, Perpetuini, Pearce, Pierpoint, Amos, Paul (Wiggins-Thomas HT), Denny (Quistin HT), Brennan (Abbey HT), Caskey, Maquemba. Unused Subs: Hamilton, Dormand.

Hemel Hempstead Town: Brown; Sweeney, Coulson, Herron, Bowden-Haase, Yeboah, Burgess, Cracknell, Dillon (Sozzo 58), Roberts, Edgeworth. Unused Subs: Martin, Williams, Gearing, Sinclair.

Referee: C. Rushton (Staffs.) 

Attendance: 482

Booked: Denny (45)

Sponsors Halesowen Town Man of the Match: Eldon Maquemba

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack